Oak dowel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LocalOak

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I plan to build, for Christmas, an oak dolls' cot for my daughter and want it to look like her own cot, which has thick vertical dowel bars in a frame for sides. So I am planning to use 8mm or so dowel for the bars but have discovered that oak dowel is pretty hard to come by.

I have g**gled and come across here and here but I don't have any experience with either of these companies.

Does anyone know of a reliable place that could supply me with about 8 metres of 8-10 mm oak dowel?

I did dabble with the idea of this or this but I'm not sure I have the time and desire to gain the skills required to produce the 36 220mm dowels I need. Yes I know sharpening a pencil or pushing something through a hole aren't particularly difficult skills. But I also know from bitter experience that setting out to make something from scratch takes me much much longer than I ever expect. And I'd have to spend time ripping down the oak stock ready to dowel etc. etc.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

TIA

Toby

Hey guys, sorry to revive this old thread but wanted to let you know we now sell oak dowels online!

Dowels

We also have ash, sapele and sycamore.

ttguy (hammer)

I have 3/8 and 1/2 dowel cutters from veritas which are brilliant, if you want to run off some dowels come to my workshop. They can be a bit tricky to get long lengths dead straight unless the stock is very straight grained.

Hey guys, I realise this is an old thread but we have just increased our dowel range, more sizes and wood types to come!

Phew! (hammer)

i am dreading somebody dragging up the 1st ever sharpening thread...

Or the last one. They are probably similar

Latest posts

Back