What To Buy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toby29

Reaction score
Can someone direct me to a 10.5v or 18-volt compact drill driver or screwdriver, please?

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-clx ... AsU98P8HAQ

there you go, the best stuff there is if you want compact stuff that's actually capable of doing anything.
I'm not sure if that's the cheapest price as I have seen them for around 110, search around, but there isn't anything better than this new makita kit.

Well there is better stuff from the makita 18v compact range, however you are looking to spend AT LEAST 250-300 to pick up decent 18v kit, this one is just 125 or less and will do 99% of the stuff you ask it to do ;)

Edit: Just saw you only want drill driver, however you really really want to get both as you will probably use the impact driver 80% of the time ;)

Toby

If you just want a compact drill driver, with the emphasis on compact, have a look at the 10.8v Mafell A10M at around the £200 mark, read all the reviews and then check out the Metabo 10.8V PowerMaxx BS Quick Pro Cordless Drill/Driver with 2Ah and 4Ah batteries for £70 less. Unless of course you like the snazzy red paint job!

Mafell are a top-end power tool manufacturer with prices to match but their drills are all made for them by Metabo, painted red and marked up in price to reflect the name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXgwc_FW674 gives a better idea of the features of the drill.

I have Festool, Fein and Metabo 18v drills, but the little Metabo is my go-to drill for 95% of the jobs I do. It is superb, the removable chuck makes it even more compact with its 1/4" hex spigot and the angle attachment is one of those accessories you never quite appreciate until you use it. It doesn't have a hammer action, is not an impact driver but as a compact screwdriver and drill which works round corners it is fantastic and knocks spots of my Festool CXS for performance and usability in tight places.

Although it is only 10.8v, the 2 and 4ah batteries deliver an impressive performance and it is remarkably powerful for its size. The bonus with Metabo is the 3 year warranty, batteries included, and I have steered clear of Makita drills after falling foul of the very poor battery life of the 18v batteries on the set I owned.

Always hard to recommend a particular brand or price bracket without knowing what your budget is or what you want it to do but I would recommend the little Metabo as a first class compact drill/driver. The set is around the £135 mark.

Pat

The Metabo 10.8v is a great little drill/driver for the money and the batteries although small seem to last ages.
It's not in the same league as an 18 volt drill though so it has it's limitations.

I have the Metabo PowerMaxx and as a screwdriver it delivers tremendous torque, 100 mm screws are no problem. As a drill it is capable but slow
David

the metabo kit is also very good,however makita has got more tools in their 10.8v range which you can later buy as well, both have almost identical specs, but makita is cheaper... what's your budget Toby29?

The Bosch 10.8 stuff is very good and reasonably priced. For home and workshop use it's pretty much all you need if you have a cheap sds drill as backup for masonry!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back