What Timber to Use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an old bench..the one type with cast iron ends and slats bolted on

could anyone tell me the best timber to use to replace the slats please?

Steve

Teak is usually used for things like these, but oak,iroko as mentioned, mahogany would be fine,

I don't know if you can actually get genuine teak from Burma.
Iroko is commonly referred to as African teak amongst others ....
It is not related to teak whatsoever.
I could be wrong on this, but I think meranti and afrormosia could fall under this nickname also.

You can get red meranti for a more mahogany redder look...its a bit softer than iroko, but I think I might have read that it has better rot resistance....
It seems that all the red meranti I have is from doors and most of it very old ...so I can't judge.
But it seems to me, like it decays quicker ...
I don't know if I have iroko that age though.

I would use Iroko if it turns out to be cheaper than oak ...your choice.
I'd like to know how other folks rates the durability of oak compared to iroko.
I think you might have to use brass with the oak as the lighter colour of it combined with the tannins.
I think likewise with the red meranti
If you are choosing iroko test some different samples of it as it can vary in weight quite a bit.
My dad got some for the gates and it rotted at the end grain and screw holes.
These planks are really light compared to some I have.
I have read somewhere, that the iroko on the Ivory coast is lighter and more prone to warping than the stuff from Ghana,
Due to being closer on the coast more so ..or for a similar element related reason.

Tom

Hi,

we have a couple of these - one with pressure treated softwood, one with iroko - which have lasted 15+ years outside and are starting to look like they need replacing before too long.

My suggested options include:

- More pressure treated softwood;
- Oak or sweet chestnut (durable hardwoods, could be sourced within the UK easily enough);
- Larch or Douglas fir (durable softwoods, could be sourced from UK too)
- Tropical hardwood (e.g. Iroko, Sapele, Ipe)
or Accoya (if you want the timber to outlive you!)

All these will weather down to a nice greyish colour if left untreated/painted.

I'll probably choose oak (because I already have some), or Accoya if I'm feeling rich at the time.

Cheers, W2S

I think oak, sapele, or western red cedar would all be good choices.

thankyou for suggestions

would mahogany be suitable?
I would need to join it (domino) down the centre above metal support bar
but could put a contrast strip of oak\walnut or something as a feature

Steve

The pick of all the timbers mentioned above is definitely Iroko in my opinion. It's oily in nature not easy to work and produces evil dust. It will however last thirty years outside without any trouble. Teak can still be obtained but at a price between three and six times that of Iroko. Conservation enthusiasts will raise objections but this timber has been sold for very high prices for many years because of its lasting properties and appearance.

I re-slatted one of these using American white oak. It's been just short of a year outside, and the slats have greyed (it happened very quickly), but no obvious deterioration to the wood otherwise.

I would use whatever i could get my hands on at a reasonable price, all the timbers quoted will do okay.
Im surprised that some say Iroko is an oily wood, i have used lots of the stuff in the boat trade & never found any that was oily, it always seems to be dry & dusty stuff. Lots of it today comes from plantations so isnt such good quality as you used to get.
Likewise Red meranti, i have two great planks of this stuff that is a deep reddish purple in colour, its at least 50 years old & is as hard as iron, nearly as heavy too!

Iroko is very oily, but it doesn't machine wet the way cheap pine full of sap does, it's not obviously oily that way. I've got iroko kitchen worktops and was told to wipe the tops with IPA to degrease them before finishing them, when I did that wiping them down the cloth went very red with the oil.

Keith 66":10mvuh1p said:
I would use whatever i could get my hands on at a reasonable price

Exactly why/how I ended up with AWO! A load of offcuts from Ebay for a fiver ;-)

Latest posts

Back