What timber should I use

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garethharvey

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to replace the Mock Tudor woodwork on a house my sone has bought. House was built approx 30 years ago, timber has already been replaced and failed. Looks like this is happening with other properties in the street.

Looking for a dark finish which will probably be painted with linseed oil paint. I am thinking Western Red Cedar but wanting other opinions.

The timber is approx. 145mm X 25mm so not a lot of depth in the timber.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-08 at 12.13.51.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-07-08 at 12.13.51.jpg
    873.3 KB · Views: 281
I be interested to see how you get on with this, my parents have a similar looking property, and one of the fake beams is starting to rot, I was thinking of using english oak and burning it to make it black instead of painting it in a shou sugi ban style, not sure about building regs or if it's legal :) but I recon it'd last a lot longer than 30 years.

If you’re thinking cedar you may as well go the tiny bit extra for Accoya and all it’s benefits.

thetyreman":2pinguaw said:
.........I was thinking of using english oak and burning it to make it black........

Why would you want it black? That's just a modern (Victorian) fad. They were either bare wood or limewashed in with the plaster panels originally.

garethharvey":4n4vrmpp said:
To be honest, I know very little about Accoya
Its guaranteed against rot for 50 years, so unless you're in your 30s or younger you probably wouldn't be doing it again

As said use Accoya and you won't be doing it again, the paint/stain finish will last longer also.

Just make sure you use stainless steel fixings.

Alternatively you could just remove it, fill in all the holes, repaint it a modern bright white along with the rest of the house ( your picture makes it all look a bit weathered). I'm not a fan of fake boards on the front of the house.

Mike Lownsbro":1wa5blyj said:
I like American oak with most of my projects, especially when oiled or waxed . I’m sure any dark hardwood would look great!

Is that OK for external use? I have never used it outside because I was told that it's totally unsuitable and I should only use European oak for outside.

beech1948":151njf0g said:
Alternatively you could just remove it, fill in all the holes, repaint it a modern bright white along with the rest of the house ( your picture makes it all look a bit weathered). I'm not a fan of fake boards on the front of the house.

This is probably the best idea :lol:

Geoff_S":1loli7qp said:
Mike Lownsbro":1loli7qp said:
I like American oak with most of my projects, especially when oiled or waxed . I’m sure any dark hardwood would look great!

Is that OK for external use? I have never used it outside because I was told that it's totally unsuitable and I should only use European oak for outside.

American white oak is fine outside. No difference to European oak. American red oak, though, won't last five minutes.

-

Just in case anyone misunderstood Mike Lownsbro, wax and/ or oil aren't suitable finishes for outdoor timber. I'll say again, oak framing was originally left bare, or was limewashed along with the lime plaster panels they enclosed. They weren't painted black until the 19th century, many centuries after such buildings were built. This is what a timber frame building should look like.

I'd only use Accoya or Iroko externally. I wouldn't even consider oak, especially as the former are readily available and far more durable.

If they are only decorative then tricoya might even be an option if you are wanting to paint it.

Hattori-Hanzo":z3xy6002 said:
If they are only decorative then tricoya might even be an option if you are wanting to paint it.

Not black though, It's been reported that it swells in the heat of direct sunlight when painted dark colours a bit like when regular MDF is submerged in water.

Back