What router profile is this...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams93

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for the name of the bit which will cut this 'roundover and a bit more' for an upcoming project.
I think that it is an 'edge beading' bit i'm after

maybe this - Router Bits UK | Whiteside Edge Beading Router Bits
or this - Router Bits UK | Whiteside Machine Co. 10-382 Blanket Chest Beading Router Bit (which looks like it will give a slight chamfer as well)

Sorry the photos are not very good quality.

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 12.07.41.png
Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 12.07.09.png

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 12.04.29.png

Last edited:
It does appear to be from an edge beading cutter. There are those that will give you a bead, with a groove ( quirk) to the side that has a square shoulder, and there are those that round this corner off - a detail often found on multiple bead cutters.

If it has been commercially manufactured then finding an exact match is not always easy as they will have run it through a large spindle moulder with there profile but maybe this is close from Wealdons, they do both a large and smaller profile
View attachment 173486

https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Beading_Large_70.html
https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Beading_Small_69.html
Thanks for these.

Found this one as well which gives a chamfer to the internal edge after the bead, it's only available in slightly larger size but that might be the one I want.

https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Butt_Bead_971.html
T2690-3.jpg

I'm not sure how much of this profile you will want. A shortcoming I've found is that, in trying to copy old edge bead mouldings, router cutters made of tungsten carbide have a weakness. Because the material is very brittle, it's difficult to design a cutter profile with a sharply pointed 'quirk' to it (which would quickly snap off in use) so router cutters often leave a flat-bottomed/shallow-angled quirk (as mentioned above) which is not a good match (pun intended) for the original.

Two alternatives (for a small/medium-size quantity):
1) Make, or buy, a scratch-stock (or just the cutter) e.g. Lee Valley Cast Scratch Stock
2) Buy an old-school wooden edge-bead moulding plane like these modern copies Side Bead Planes – Red Rose Reproductions

I probably only want to run about 5 metres of oak through it, I will have a read through those bits you have sent though. Depending on how fiddly a scratch stock is to make I could do that instead.

Thanks
I'm not sure how much of this profile you will want. A shortcoming I've found is that, in trying to copy old edge bead mouldings, router cutters made of tungsten carbide have a weakness. Because the material is very brittle, it's difficult to design a cutter profile with a sharply pointed 'quirk' to it (which would quickly snap off in use) so router cutters often leave a flat-bottomed/shallow-angled quirk (as mentioned above) which is not a good match (pun intended) for the original.

Two alternatives (for a small/medium-size quantity):
1) Make, or buy, a scratch-stock (or just the cutter) e.g. Lee Valley Cast Scratch Stock
2) Buy an old-school wooden edge-bead moulding plane like these modern copies Side Bead Planes – Red Rose Reproductions

I probably only want to run about 5 metres of oak through it, I will have a read through those bits you have sent though. Depending on how fiddly a scratch stock is to make I could do that instead.

Thanks
You might find this video helpful:

If it's any help I used the smallest radius of this Euro cutter to machine up maybe 30m of appliqued beading to an oak faced kitchen I made a while back - am sure you can find something similar for a router

If it's any help I used the smallest radius of this Euro cutter to machine up maybe 30m of appliqued beading to an oak faced kitchen I made a while back - am sure you can find something similar for a router
That profile's good but has a socking great big quirk. Something like this would be easier perhaps (assuming you don't want to just make one from the back on an old saw blade, that is):

https://www.axminstertools.com/veritas-set-of-3-beading-cutters-for-beading-tool-610393

Back