what rope do I need to replace a pull cord?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheUnicorn

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a broken pull cord on a generator, do I need to buy a special type of cord or will anything do as long as it fits through the hole?

thank you

My guess, you'll get away with anything that fits but the cord originally fitted will be strong, minimal stretch and wear resistant. So the right stuff will work better and last longer if you find some.

The original material or similar will be best as it’s more resistant to stretch. The real fun starts when you remove the pull cord assembly as it’s spring loaded.

Guys who climb use nylon ropes that stretch, others who go down caves, climb trees and sail choose polyamide and similar ropes for a number of tasks because they have much less stretch.

Polyamide is nylon ....

I use nylon yachting rope on my roof rack because you can use the stretch to get things tight ...

Polyamide is nylon ....

I use nylon yachting rope on my roof rack because you can use the stretch to get things tight ...
My mistake - I'm mixing up my amides and aramids.

Looking up, it's polyester I should have said. It has about half the stretch of nylon which is preferable when you are ascending a rope or abseiling as the cavers and arborists do. Climbers and cavers sharing a flat many years ago, we couldn't borrow each others ropes ...

On a boat, nylon is good for some jobs like tying the boat up - the stretch is useful in that role - but you don't generally want stretch in halyards and sheets (the control lines) so polyester is a better choice and nowadays the premium options are aramid fibres like kevlar / dyneema / spectra. These last are very strong, expensive and low stretch.

others who go down caves, climb trees and sail choose polyamide and similar ropes for a number of tasks because they have much less stretch.
If you ever try SRT up a climbers rope it is difficult, the stretch fights you all the way.

For anything with a pull cord starter just buy the right cord, to stop the ends fraying you just melt it but don't smooth it off with your fingers as burning nylon is not pleasant !!

Back