What people want to see at Show Displays

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonStan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hosting another woodwork and woodturning show again this year, so starting this topic once again, to ask everyone what they would like to see at shows this year. This is not only relevant to my own show, but helps all show hosts', by getting feedback from you all, in what you would like to see. Our own show is over here in Donegal in Ireland, Sept 23 and 24th (hopefully no snow this year !!, hence earlier date). Exhibitors being Record Power, Robert Sorby, Trend, Charnwood, Ashley Iles, Brimarc, Bahco, Festool and Freud all confirmed to come so far, with a guest wood turner this year being, Mr Stuart Mortimer. Listened to your comments from last year, and have taken your advice, and having admission to all exhibitors areas free, an entrance fee only to see Mr Mortimer in a seated area. Have asked all exhibitors to allow a hands on with their products. Apologies, but cannot not take you up on the dancing chix's suggestion, but if you care to stay for the weekend, feel free to check out the local bars and nightclubs for that !!. Anyway, many thanks to all who commented on this topic last year, and I would welcome all ideas and suggestions, from all of you, to make all the woodwork/woodturning shows more enjoyable for everyone.

Kind regards

Stanley

If it's a woodwork and woodturning show I'd show a lot of woodwork and woodturning and not have 90% tool sellers. One would be enough, if that, but you seem to have just one woodturner! :shock:
That list of names would put me right off. I can see them all over the place of just send for their catalogues.
If I wanted to talk about tools I'd rather talk to woodworkers and woodturners, not dealers.

On the other hand if you are going to have tool sellers I'd charge them enough so that the show could be completely free for all visitors and you might even pay for some original woodworkers to show their stuff.

The big attraction nowadays seems to be green woodworking, pole lathe turning and other old crafts and trades. There's a lot more to it then yer shiny "artistic" urn turning and fancy machinery!
Donegal should be the place - take a look at "Irish Country Furniture" by Claudia Kinmonth. Get her there as a guest speaker?

I have to disagree with the above post. I usually go to shows to see new tools demonstrated and get a hands on demo with them. I am not into woodturning although I do find it slightly interesting. I find far too many shows are aimed at woodturners and not enough interest for cabinet makers/carpenters. I also used to go see if I could get a bargain there but this seems to have dissapeared recently. I do put this down to the fact that costs have gone up and there is less profit for the companies due to the rent of the stand space and the bargains that can be had on the internet. I occasionally go to the shows but not as much as I used to.

What about some tall, leggy fit burds wearing hot pants and small ill fitting Axminster T-shirts, like you see at motor shows and the like ? :shock:

EDIT: sorry just read the original post again, Robert Sorby T-shirts would be fine.

I'd like to see some demonstrations for beginners and perhaps a small beginners workshop, were a newbie like me can get some hands on pointers and advise.

Latest posts

Back