What people want to see at Show Displays

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonStan

Established Member
Reaction score
Have allready posted this on the wood turning forum, but would like to see what response I can get from the non woodturners as well. What I would like to get, is feedback, to hand to the suppliers, good and bad, so that we can make the shows more enjoyable, not only for my own show, but at all shows - please feel free to comment.

Am holding a show over here in Ireland, but am curious to know what everyone would actually like to see at Show Weekends. I got some response from a forum here on the Scottish Show, in that people wanted to see a good finish display, so hopefully I have persuaded Terry Smart from Chestnut products to come and offer his advice. Am having Record, Startrite, Charnwood and Trend in the machinery Hall, and then Robert Sorby, Ashley Iles, Brimarc, and hopefully Chestnut in the Woodturning/wood carving area, with Mark Baker as guest demonstrator - admission is free as I feel that if people make the effort to come, it is my way of returning the travel - although I'm hoping to have a box beside Mark, for donations as an appreciation - total up to the public to donate - What I want to know from everyone, is what really attracts them to a show, and what they would like to see ? Please reply even PM, as would be very interested to read.
Many Thanks
Stanley

Hi Stanley
Well that is a very good way of going about it, I think. Find out what people want and then try to offer it. Excellent.

I don't go to many shows these days, as I think the quality has declined markedly over the last decade or so. It's not that the actual vendors are poorer quality, clearly the likes of Chestnut and Brimarc are as good as ever they were. The problem is with the overall offering.

Let's look at the issue of price. Some shows are, say £8 to get in whilst others are free entry. If I pay £8, I would expect to see something other than a whole load of market stalls. Indeed some of the vendors are very market-like. I don't want to pay to be admitted to a jumble sale.

On the other hand, if it's free I may not expect very much, and if it is just a big jumble sale, or worse, a small jumble sale, I probably won't even make the effort to go at all.

I don't mind paying 5 or 6 quid if, when I get inside, I have a good time for a couple of hours.

So, to answer your question, I want to have a good time. Now what that means will differ from person to person. If I'm in the market for a new tablesaw, I would want to see Axminster, Scheppach, Woodford and Charnwood and SIP, all side-by-side so I can compare and contrast. I know that's not going to happen but it's what I would like.

I want to see some skilled woodworkers actually making something and not just turners either. I have noting against turning, honest, and turning is something that is easy to put on just about anywhere. A lathe is pretty self-contained, if you can move it you are mobile. The problem is, when you've seen one you've seen 'em all. OK, I've just offended turners everywhere, and I know that isn't universally true, but you get my drift. If turning is not your thing, one good demo is what you want, not 6 also-rans.

The performing ability of the demonstrators is also a consideration. Some of them are hilariously entertaining, even if yo are not interested in their particular speciality.

I would also like to see a good display of work. Furniture, for me. Bowls for others, toys for some and so on.

Have somewhere for people to sit down, and not just 4 tables by the coffee bar. Wandering around is hard on the feet and the average age of the show-going public is, well, high. What's the demographic? Male, 50+. 65+, some days. But do they spend or are they just out for the day because they've had enough of Countdown? You need to attract people who want to spend money. If yo don't, the vendors will not come again next year. They have to make money and it is not cheap to put on a stall for 3 days. I've only done it once, but I spent 2 weeks prepping, the three days at the show and half a day unpacking. OK, next time the prepping won't be as much, but you take my point. The vendors have to make money. And You have to make money. So if people are not paying to get through the door, from where is all this necessary money going to come? It's not from 70-year old Fred buying one DVD, is it? If it were not for the fact that I was demonstrating at that show, I would have been very unhappy indeed at the economics of doing it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at the Freds of this world, not at all. I'm simply pointing out that the average woody is not 25 with wads of money spend. However, if you want to attract the (much smaller number of) 25-year olds who DO have money to spend, then the trad woody show is probably not the way to do it.

If you go to any of the bigger trade shows, not woody ones, the exhibitors there often put on MUCH more professional displays. Son et Lumiere and so on. It's what people have come to expect. But the cost is very high so it is not viable to do that. But, nevertheless, it's what people, especially young people, will expect.

I've not been to the US shows, but I've seen the footage. Big. BIG. And all the best names there. That is your standard.

Very best of luck with your show. And if you want to book another demonstrator...

Cheers
Steve

The last Ally Pally show I went to was 50% jumble sale, so I agree with Steve on that point. However, the bits of the show that I remember as being good were all to do with what I do myself to scratch a living, ie:

1. The demo by the Leigh dovetail jig man
2. The Festool stand, with about 3 or 4 demonstrators showing off the saws, drills, sanders etc (I think it was Toucan Tools + Festool reps together)
3. The demo on the Fein stand
4. The Clifton Hand Tools stand
5. Do I remember a Dust Deputy stand as well? I'm not sure as there wasn't a demonstration going on, so it was a bit boring and not very informative.

There's a theme here - demonstrations. Like many, getting me to buy a tool or machine is like getting blood from a stone. I have to need it, I want to be certain that it works and it must be a good price. That means demonstrations and show discounts.

You've also got to try and attract people in the trade (joiners, furniture makers etc) as well as the hobbyists, as maybe they are the ones who are likely to buy the higher priced tools.

Steve Maskery":ewhvt7s7 said:
I want to see some skilled woodworkers actually making something and not just turners either. I have noting against turning, honest, and turning is something that is easy to put on just about anywhere. A lathe is pretty self-contained, if you can move it you are mobile. The problem is, when you've seen one you've seen 'em all. OK, I've just offended turners everywhere, and I know that isn't universally true, but you get my drift. If turning is not your thing, one good demo is what you want, not 6 also-rans.

Cheers
Steve

I think Steve has pretty much summed it here for me as well and I agree with the comments ref the spiny side. It doesn't seem to matter where you go, to whatever show, it's always the same faces doing the same thing. Whilst I have absolutely nothing against these individuals and appreciate why they do what they do...it does tend to become a little 'routine' if that's the right word (I wouldn't say 'boring' 'cos it's not, but it's tending towards it)
For example, Tom's recent clip of the CT show had MrC doing his stuff with that nice, easy to plane maple, but go to West Dean or the Festival of the Tree and guess what?...Mr C is doing exactly the same thing. Why couldn't he persuade one or two of his students to come to a show and actually make something, even if it's just a small box? Similarly, Mike Hudson from Clico will be there pedaling his wares as will David Mursell (sp?) ad infinitum. Our very own Philly is at all the shows doing his stuff, but why not use his planes to prepare some real timber that could be used in a real project, say one of his excellent guitars for example?
Apart from the distance, this is one of the reasons that I didn't go to CT...I could almost guarantee what/who I was going to see which somehow didn't make the effort or expense seem worthwhile - Rob

Hi Stanley, what venue do you have in mind?

woodbloke":3vryx1yi said:
Steve Maskery":3vryx1yi said:
Cheers
Steve

I think Steve has pretty much summed it here for me as well and I agree with the comments ref the spiny side. It doesn't seem to matter where you go, to whatever show, it's always the same faces doing the same thing.
These comments have hit the nail precisely on the head as far as I'm concerned, even as just a hobby turner these days I appreciate good furniture and the craft skills to produce it, very little has been in evidence over the last couple of years presumably because show attendance is no longer justifiable on the bottom line when the accountant does the books.

Might I suggest that just like having some young students being put through their paces making an end product, a professional turner actually using the show exposure to take a pupil or pupils though a days instruction might be viable.
Most of my recent attendances have been on the basis that it's a day out and travel or entrance costs can be offset somewhat against tool or consumables expenditure that's either at a small discount or avoids postage costs.

Personally I'm not too fussed about how the latest and greatest wiz bang machine can do it quicker and better and for someone who relies on such for an income there are more appropriate places such as the NEC to see those wares. However a few promotional displays giving younger visitors an insight into what's used or involved in a modern shop turning out Hotel Suit furniture and the like by the hundred on CNC machines might instil some enthusiasm for future employment.

I have to agree with Woodbloke that most of the ones in that I have attended are much of a muchness - that's why this last year I confined my visits to Yandles where the entry is free, not too bad a journey and if worse comes to the worse I can always buy some wood :)
Demos by famous woodworkers can make them more interesting - Rob Cosman at Westonbirt, Garrett Hack and Brian Boggs at West Dean.

Rod

I've had another thought about the "free" issue.

WW shows are not free. Not free to anybody. They certainly aren't free to the exhibitors. But they are not even free to the public. OK, you may not have to pay to get through the door, but unless you live on the doorstep you have to pay to get there, nonetheless.

If it's going to cost me £25 in petrol to get there, I'd rather spend a fiver to get in to something good than get in free to something that is mediocre. In short, I want a Grand Day Out. I'd rather spend £30 and come away having enjoyed myself than spend £25 and wish I'd not bothered.

Another 2p.
S

Harbo":3cx9hudh said:
Rob Cosman at Westonbirt
Rod
If I went to see RC at a show and he knew who I was, I'd probably end up wearing a chisel through my head! :lol: :lol: - Rob

Steve Maskery":26wpm9bu said:
I've had another thought about the "free" issue.

If it's going to cost me £25 in petrol to get there, I'd rather spend a fiver to get in to something good than get in free to something that is mediocre. In short, I want a Grand Day Out. I'd rather spend £30 and come away having enjoyed myself than spend £25 and wish I'd not bothered.

Another 2p.
S

Steve,
Many thanks for your replies - as for free, that is why we put the donation box, if we get nothing in it, we know that we are doing it wrong !!, so leave it up to the public to show their appreciation if they enjoy it - out of 300 odd people last year, I think we got around 175 pounds, so some of those attending must have enjoyed it - it's nice to see this, as gives something back for all the work that goes into a show.

Keep those comments coming, so we can pass them on - you might start to see them being implemented at your own local shows

Many thanks

Stan

Ok here are a few more suggestions:

I really like the opportunity to handle and try out tools, making comparisons side by side. For example, with something like the premium ranges of planes - I'm not the sort to just order something that costs over £200 on the strength of a little picture on a website, but trying it out is the first step. Indeed, I think shows are a great way to get some buyers to see how good some tools are, and what the differences are between the ordinary and the excellent.

Demos - as others have said. Ideally from informed and entertaining presenters.

Bargains - should include secondhand tool dealers and people with trailer loads of timber - things that are not easy to find in your average 'retail park'.

Location - shows are best held in a venue which is interesting in itself. I've been a few times to the shows at Westonbirt Arboretum, but now that I've seen Tom's videos of Cressing Temple Barns I know where I will visit when next in that neck of the woods!

Latest posts

Back