What people want to see at Show Displays

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonStan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Am holding a show over here in Ireland, but am curious to know what everyone would actually like to see at Show Weekends. I got some response from a forum here on the Scottish Show, in that people wanted to see a good finish display, so hopefully I have persuaded Terry Smart from Chestnut products to come and offer his advice. Am having Record, Startrite, Charnwood and Trend in the machinery Hall, and then Robert Sorby, Ashley Iles, Brimarc, and hopefully Chestnut in the Woodturning/wood carving area, with Mark Baker as guest demonstrator - admission is free as I feel that if people make the effort to come, it is my way of returning the travel - although I'm hoping to have a box beside Mark, for donations to his travel, as an appreciation - total up to the public to donate - What I want to know from everyone, is what really attracts them to a show, and what they would like to see ? Please reply even PM, as would be very interested to read, not only for my own show, but also for future shows
Many Thanks
Stanley

for such as myself, i am a basic novice at woodturning as i dont get much time on my lathe as i would like, but i have seen quite a few demo's from pro turners and really enjoyed them, but i would really like to see some of these pro's get some really crappy wood and show you how to deal with tearout and endgrain problems, showing you what tools they would use and how they would use them to achieve a decent finish.

The main attraction to shows for me (after NAKED CHIX EVERYWHERE :D )has to be the demonstrators .

I live on an island and therefore a trip away is a major investment financially :evil: so I want to see skilled people and try and learn / improve.

I also like a variety of demonstrator

ie inspiring - Stuart Mortimer / Burt Marsh

interesting -Stuart King / Jenny Starbuck

Entertaining - Les Thorne / Nick Agar

I also attend shows to see new stuff / gadgets, to bag a bargain, to stock up on stuff I cannot get by post (big timber / chemicals) and to be aroud other woodturners (a friendly bunch).

Hence I'm off to Strictly Woodturning and Surrey Association of Woodturners open day in a couple of weeks....carn't wait :D

Hi Stanley,

I would only be interested in the turning parts of the show - however when you get details / dates etc let me know and i'll pass the word around the Chapters,

Anyhow - Woodoc lives round the corner from me, he would a good addition to the finishes section. Have you contacted Eugene to see if anyone from the guild would volunteer for demos to give Mark a break ?

Regs

Laurence

Make sure any company making the commitment to give demonstrations or be on hand for product purchase advice is supported by adequate sales stock or at the very least comprehensive stockists lists.

I've been to several Company/Trade shows in the last couple of years where the company in question did not have sufficient stock on hand to satisfy the first day sales let alone the remainder of the event. I understand the financial implications of ordering/stocking volume that might not sell but it really dampens any enthusiasm if a 4€ items incurs a 5€ postal delivery charge, whereas a few minutes wait whilst someone fetches a item from a 'Stock Room' Van imparts a sense of satisfaction re customer service.

Also Craft demonstrators, I would like to see far more information on hand regarding the materials and tools they use, the sources for them, why they prefer a certain method/tool.
I know they can't perform all day in lecture mode but a person just sitting at a stall, no matter how skilled, carrying out a delicate task cannot possibly fend off all the questions a passing audience might have.
A couple of A4 sheets with contact details and use and abuse notes or tool guides (with reasons why chosen) could impart a great deal of help to those interested.

Hi Stanley
I used to really enjoy the woodturning show held at the Warwickshire Exhibition Centre where they had professional demonstrators, machine and hand tool suppliers etc but also an area where local woodturning and woodcarving clubs would demonstrate and show their creations. Their work was often very good and the sort of standard I could aspire to whereas much of the work done by the professionals requires big lathes and expensive tools that a hobbyist just dreams about. It's enjoyable watching the professionals but also good to see an amateur produce something that tomorrow I can have a go at.

Regards Keith

I've only ever been to a two woodworking shows (Yandles and a small one in South Wales hosted by a power tools shop) plus a few outdoor wood related events like the St Asaph Woodfest.

I enjoyed them all, but doubt I'll return to any of the more distant events as there was nothing that special there to would persuade me into a 3 hour drive each way again.

Having said that, here's what I liked at the shows I've visited...

Asley Iles stand at Yandles, where they were selling unhandled turning & carving tools at real bargain prices :) Made two impulse purchases and neither were regretted once I got home.

The microplane stand at Yandles - visitors were encouraged to try the tools for themselves and the stand was very well set up with several suitable pieces of wood available to have a go on, plus enough room around it for onlookers to watch. Another impulse purchase (having tried the rasps for myself), again at a bargain show price, and again not regretted.

Another stand at Yandles where a wood plane maker had his wares on display and for sale, and again, there were blocks of wood available for visitors to try the planes for themselves and I got to have a go with a real, handmade and properly adjusted plane to find out what it should feel like! Shame I couldn't really justify a third (& more expensive) impulse purchase. I may regret that in time....

The displays of work and very informal demonstrations by various woodturning and woodcarving clubs at the Woodfest.

Seeing various manufacturers wares all under one roof for comparison is useful, as is being able to chat with representatives of companies such as Ashley Iles, Chestnut, Hegner etc etc. and also to collect catalogues and such from them.

What I didn't like (and don't like at most trade shows)

As Chas has already mentioned - trade stands not bringing enough stock (especially of smaller items) with them so running out of things too quickly. I probably would not buy a large item (like a workshop machine) at a show, although I might use the opportunity to see and touch something I'm considering buying - but I do expect to be able to buy consumables for such machines, small tools, finishes etc on the day.

Cramped space and too big a crowd. The main reason I've never watched an "official" turning demo at a show - I've never been able to get near enough to see and hear what was happening! (As a member of a turning club I do get to see professional demonstrators in comfort once a month at the club). Contrast that with the excellent informal turning demos I've seen given on various club stands - it would be nice if they had signs up by the lathe with the demonstrators name on, though.

An area set up for timetabled demonstrations separate from the stands. You can then watch a whole sequence from start to finish, rather than just happening upon something interesting as you wander round. The lack of such a facility slightly lets down, for me, the otherwise excellent Harrogate Show, for example.

Ian

If you have professionals doing demos it should be technically possible to have a video feed so that it can be seen by people more easily. I can't name specific people here but there are one or two professionals I wouldn't have at all as they are rude, and offensive and seemed only interested in selling their latest book / DVD. Fortunately they are in the minority.
Being able to have a go with a new tool is great where that is possible. First time I came across the Monroe hollower was when Mark Hancock let me have a go with his at a Yandles a few years back. This sort of informality in a show makes it for me personally.

Pete

Hi Stanley,

I'm a member of Tudor Rose Woodturners and we organised a show last year to replace a show that had been declining, and finially finished the year before.

Our show (we intend to do it again this year!!) is quite locally based and had stands of around 10 "local" clubs, each with space to show member's work and a lathe running most of the time.

We had around 6 professional turners demonstrating on their own stands with 2 "big names" to try and bring in the crowds. Between the pro's was a good mix of hollow form work, spindles, arty stuff and thread chasing.

We had a number of trade stands too but we made sure they were all stands that people would want to see, such as Axminster, Toolpost, Phil Irons/Vicmarc, Charnwood, Chestnut, Ashley Iles etc, etc. Avoid the jumble sale type stands, everyone I know hates them at shows!!!!

The other stands that were popular were the timber sellers. We had 3 I think, offering a wide range of different stuff and all were happy with what they sold!! You can never have too much wood!!!!!

We were a little short on space but this will be improved this year with a bigger hall. Otherwise, make sure you have plenty of parking and loading for demonstrators and stalls.

HTH

Richard

Listen folks, many thanks for all your input, but please don;t stop, keep sending in what you want to see, as have passed this link on to all the suppliers, who are keeping an eye on this for their own info, so we need your help to make the shows more enjoyable for all you, no matter which ones you attend. Am going to post this request on General Woodworking as well here, to cater for the machinery suppliers, as they also would be interested in learning what you all want from shows - keep up the good work, and let us know what you want to see, (and dislike at shows).

Many thanks again

Stanley

PS, Had a timetable at last years show, and worked well as everyone knew what was happening, and in what halls, - so many thanks for that one

For those of us with chronic arthritis plenty of places to park your bum every now and then!!

Stanley

What a great thread. Well done for taking the time to find out what your customers want.
Hope the show goes well.

Mark

Sawdust-johnny":2i8my8q3 said:
The main attraction to shows for me (after NAKED CHIX EVERYWHERE :D )has to be the demonstrators .

how about naked chicks demonstrating ;)

maybe woodwork retailers could learn from sports bikes - vis the honda stand at the NEC show :lol:

nec_2002_06.jpg

or failing that that cutie with the axes that steve was chatting up at axminster last year :lol:

CHJ":r7d2bi8b said:
tekno.mage":r7d2bi8b said:
Wouldn't work - no smock pockets to keep the pencil, calipers, tin of polish, centre punch etc in.
:lol:
DK3008_b3.jpg

Last "chick" I saw with a tool that big hanging down was from Thailand.

Back