what lathe should I go for

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boysie39

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Total newbee here,I am a woodworking hobbiest for the past couple of years and the sawdust seems to have got into my veins.
i find that the old bones dont allow me to get up and down as they used to ,as I would like to stay working at wood ,I've thought I might try Turning so help needed from the start. I've been reading quit a bit and have sent for DVDs. What lathe should I go for, someone said as big as you can as you can do small stuff on a big one but not the other way around. For £500 what would you expect to get keep in mind im heading for 70 and would be useing for a few hours a day.
I hope to be set up for that money so any help you can give much appreciated. Sorry for long post .Regds boysie

Welcome Boysie39 to the slippery slope that is turning For £500 you could get a pretty good one second hand with maybe a few bits thrown in but you need a little idea of what your looking for. If you want new dont then around the £500 there isn't much there is a jump in prices between about £300 and £800 with I think only a few in between at £500 you have the Record CL3 and some Axminster Jet and Scheppach the latter just really6 the same lathe with a different name on it. Me I would go second hand but remember on top of the cost of the lathe there are chisels, chucks, pen mandrels, jacobs chucks, live centres and hollowing tools that you will want to buy you may not need them but you will still want them! :lol:

Good evening Boysie. How long is a piece of string?

You have a budget of £500 all included you say. That's £300 more than I had when I set up so you should be OK. :lol:

You will ideally want a lathe, a chuck and a set of tools. You will also need a grinder (you may already have this). You can get a reasonable lathe for about £150 - 300 and the chuck will set you back about £100+. Gouges etc another £100

If you can give us some idea of the sort of thing that you are thinking of turning, how much space you have I am sure you will get loads of advice.

Have you already got things like bandsaw, grinder etc?

Pete

Hi boysie, welcome to our little timber paradise.

If you can be 110% sure of the size of item you are likely to turn then it would help, BUT if you are like the majority of the rest of us you will find that your ideas will change very quickly once you get on a lathe. SO on size only you can decide, but I would suggest when looking at lathes you look for.

1/ Weight, therefore a cast iron bed is a bonus.

2/ Spindle Centre Height over the bed, you can almost double it for the maximum you can turn. Or get one with a swivel head, (which is not essential) but which enables you to turn even bigger face plate work.

3/ Length between head & tail stock, if you want to turn long spindles.

Then as has already been mentioned, chuck/tools,grinder (to sharpen)/bandsaw (if you plan on preparing your own timber, it can be very expensive buying shop blanks all the time)

One of the best ways to start is to join a club, often there are members who are thinking of upgrading, and you can pick up a good second user bargain. The better still is when someone is selling up completely, you can pick up a complete set of gear ready to us, and usually for a very good price.

As a last thought, I used to turn the biggest pieces of wood my lathe could handle, but my back has given out and I am now restricted to what I can physically lift onto the machine, which is something else that needs to be considered.

Good luck mate! 8)

As a beginner I don't think you would go far wrong with Axminster. The CCBL lathe, Axminster Clubman chuck and the Axminster tool set would come in at less than your budget. You will also need a grinder, I recommend the 8" Record, a grinding jig will also help but this can be made. Second hand is always cheaper but if you can, visit a local club to get some idea of what is best for you

Hello all, I've went and got a Draper variable speed lathe WTL99 it has a 370w motor 5 speed spindle taper MT thread size 3/4 x16 Tpi. I think its 37" between centers I've just got it tonight, It belonged to a fellow who went into bad health poor man, he bought it four years ago and used it about 15 hours. It looks brand new and I got it forabout £90.00+ a set of tools which would not be the best,but I'll get some idea of what I can do .If I need to upgrade after some time it wont have cost me much to learn a bit. Any thoughts on this purchase would be welcome.
By the way thanks to those who have already helped out I could not turn down this offer I had to take it or lose it but it will put me on the right track I hope and with a lot of help from your good selves. regds. Boysie.

Not too a bad price it would seem with the tools thrown in.

Did it come with a chuck? if not when you get one make sure it is a model that can take interchangeable inserts or backplate up to a reasonable size so that you do not have to re-purchase if you upgrade the lathe to a different fitting.

CHJ, what type of chuck should I go for, the thread size 3/4" 10 tpi will I assume have a bearing on what chuck I can use. So if tou could suggest a make or type of chuck would be obliged. I also have had time to check out the chisels and would not be overly impressed,so I may be in the market for new ones any suggestions, As regarding what I would like to make I have no idea as yet. I intend to get some DVDs and see what way to go about useing the lathe and how to hold the chisels.
I bought a Tormek last year and sold it a couple of mnths. ago before I thought about a lathe. I have a band saw but its only a bench one about a 3 1/2" I have a Bosch GTS 10" table saw a FOX planer /thick. and a small 6" jointer. + routers and lots of sanders planers and other small tools If I can make some headway with the lathe I would sell to buy what I would need.Most of what I've been doing is just for a Hobby and that wont change So if you people can give me an idea what I need I will get them. I have this thing that you must give everything a fair chance and if I need to buy to do that I will. Regds. Boysie

Hi boysie39, can you check the thread size you mentioned. That is a very peculiar TPI, usually a 3/4" thread is 16TPI.

My preference on the chuck line is a SuperNova, they come with a removable insert in the back to fit your spindle thread, but if you ever up-grade you lathe all you do is buy another insert. There are also a good selection of various jaw types which you only need to buy when or if you ever need them.

I had a look at the Patriot from sorby yesterday down at The Toolpost (Didcot) and was quite impressed with the quality, it's compatable with the super nova jaws as well I believe so should have good support in local suppliers.

I had a chat with the Sorby guys at Yandles and they claimed that the Patriot was totally compatible with Supanova jaws etc. It seems to be a bit cheaper as well so it could be a good buy.

Pete

TEP":2li4s2qb said:
Hi boysie39, can you check the thread size you mentioned. That is a very peculiar TPI, usually a 3/4" thread is 16TPI.......

Turning capacity;
- Diameter ... 350mm
- Between Centres ... 1000mm
Speeds (rpm) ... 5 (500 - 2500)
Spindle thread size ... 3/4“ x 16tpi
Spindle taper ... MT1
Overall length ... 1545mm
Weight ... 31kg

From a Sales listing.

most of the top name tools will be O.K. What will govern their cutting capability is the sharpening. You will definitely need a grinder, a tormec is unnessessary as you can cut strait from the wheel but you will need to touch up the edge quite often. Chas has shown plans for a grinding jig which works very well ,especially for a beginner. sharp tools make such a difference to the ease of turning learning the skill should be a priority

This is to [TEP, JAYMAR,BODRIGHY, ] Lads please forgive me for not answering your Posts on a one to one basis. Believe me I have taken in what you have pointed out to me and am very grateful for your suggestions,I realise the lathe I bought is not top of the range but as always I jump before I look. However I have it now and and as Chas pointed out it will help me creep before I start to Run.
I am going to get a chuck and you lads were discussing the Patriota the Supernova? I think . when I order whichever do I need to consider what measurments of TPI and inserts and such. Sorry to ask all these questions but I'm trying to keep my mistakes to a minimum . I would buy on ebay but at times the shipping cost to Ireland is almost as expensive as the Item it self. Looking forward to any more help you have to offer.Regds. Boysie

Yes you need to make sure that the supplier supplies the correct thread insert.

Make sure you stipulate the size (3/4 X 16 I think we determined) clearly in your order, it is not unknown for a salesman to give you the wrong box.

Hello Boysie39 and a belated welcome :D
Looks like your in good hands with your questions,and you have a good buy with the lathe.
I think we all start off cautiously with our first buys to test the water so to speak.Just hope that you enjoy your turning.
Keep us posted with your first attempts.
I would just add that i have the Supernova2 chuck and Sorby tools.
Paul.J.

Hi again Boysie39, don't be concerned about answering each person who offers advice. All those thank you posts just fill up the thread, better to put a early thanks at the bottom of you first question. IMO Then we can all follow the thread a lot easier.

Good luck now that you have just stumbled on the top of he slope, it can get a lot steeper believe me. :lol:

Back