What is the best direction to cut bathroom worktop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martingchapman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some worktop to go across the top of the vanity and cistern unit I am installing in my bathroom, it is the same construction as kitchen worktop.
I have a Festool TS75 circular saw fitted with a fine tooth blade and a guide rail which I will use to cut the worktop to length.
I will turn the worktop upside down so I am effectively cutting it from the underneath but my question is should I cut from the back to the front, from the front to the back or does it not matter.
I am concerned about breakout on the front (curved) edge as although the worktop will have a tiled splash back which will cover most of the ends this will stop short of the front, so the front curved edge will be exposed and I want a clean cut, not one that is chipped.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks in advance - Martin.

I would always cut into the front edge rather than out of it because that way the laminate is supported by the body of the worktop in the cut.

I would also cut from front to back. On a right hand side end cut the saw will be on the laminate side and for a left hand side cut the saw will be underneath so the the front edge is cut first. I sometimes do a small 3mm scribing cut by running the saw backwards over the laminate to prevent chipping.

jon

Latest posts

Back