What ideas have you had for reducing Electricity consumption

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 15-in-1 model incorporates a pressure cooker which cuts down cooking time enormously. Also, the machine works out cooking time based on what the probe sensor tells it, which means perfect cooked meats every time. I still steam veggies on the hob, though. You can still buy the 15-in-1 for £249 brand new (at least, that is what I paid less than a month ago) so I am not sure I would buy a used one to save £49 (unless it also comes with the extras such as the silicon thingy for lifting cooked meats out easily and the baking trays, I suppose. These did cost a few quid extra).
The one we were offered is the 14-1 but seems to be complete with all the extras. However, I just looked on F/B Marketplace, and there seems to be quite a few up for sale, different models. So the question is are they just getting rid of them because they cannot be bothered with them, or are they so impressed they are trading up to a newer/better/bigger model?

Ive mentioned these in other similer posts and freely admit I dont have any figures at hand to back it up but weve been using one of those countertop hallogen ovens, ours was very cheap from Aldi a few years ago and branded as a Delta, its just a simple hallogen oven, doesnt need preheating, cooks a meal for two, bakes good bread etc and due to the amount of time its on to cook and being halogen, I think it would be much more economical than our regluar oven which takes for ever to heat up and cool down afterwards?
Compared to the Ninja our one cost around £20 in the sale and if it conked out we would be lost without it.
Steve

The one we were offered is the 14-1 but seems to be complete with all the extras. However, I just looked on F/B Marketplace, and there seems to be quite a few up for sale, different models. So the question is are they just getting rid of them because they cannot be bothered with them, or are they so impressed they are trading up to a newer/better/bigger model?
There is something to be said about that. As I mentioned, the 15-in-1 is a bit cumbersome for me, so I only use it for the Sunday roasts. I would use it more if I could permanently site it where it is used, but our kitchen is not really big enough to do that. So there is a risk that it will fall into disuse and follow in the footsteps of the Tefal air fryer we had that was used once and sat there until my eldest daughter 'disappeared' it. But I hope not and, as I mentioned, I would also like to try the Ninja dual zone air fryer as that seems much more useful for the more everyday convenience foods.

(PS: I seriously doubt that I would pay £200 for the obsolete 14-in-1 model)

how much electricity will you need to save to get even some of your money back - it has a 1700W heater element in it. Granted, a bit different to a 3Kw Oven ...
The thing is they are contained, a small space, so that is maximum demand. I put a meter (this type of thing, others are available - Decdeal Power Energy Monitor, LCD Display Electricity Usage Power Meter Socket Energy Watt Volt Amps Wattage KWH Consumption Analyzer Monitor Outlet AC230V~250V : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools ) on it, it's eye opening ............ and frightening when some things are plugged into it :). The consumption flits in seconds for e.g. 10w to 800w to 1600w back to 20w. The only time it uses full power is on warm up. It uses about one unit in 9 hours dehydrating, about one unit in 25 mins baking a loaf - which it does very well. Melt in your mouth lamb shanks - half pressure cook, second half air fry. Akilo of potatoes 3mins after warm up. You use probably half the power in half the time so win - win.
They are easy to clean, as many things can be cooked in one container, and the liners, grids etc. are small enough to go in a dishwasher. Some of the extras appear expensive but when compared to other top class cooking paraphernalia they are not. (Incidentally I've just bought Foodi frying pans - they are first class.)
We went for the 15 - 1 1/ because I bake bread regularly, and 2/ because I tend to work upon the theory that it's better to regret something you didn't do than something you did - I didn't want be sitting wishing I'd bought the bigger better one after the event. The demand for them must be going sky high.
When electricity goes to 50p a unit it'll probably pay for itself in a year or so.

Back on tack for anyone in a bungalow with a multi fuel stove.
We have no other heating (admittedly in a warmer place than many) so I put a 6" insulated duct (which is 8" overall and insulated again over and under) from the ceiling above the stove to the far side of the bungalow, the kitchen and the bedroom with an in line Manrose 6" fan, 48w iirc. I makes an amazing difference to the bungalow as a whole, and it also makes the room the stove is in more comfortable and usable - it takes excess heat away, those of you with stoves will know. Meshes removed for air flow, halos turned on my lathe. it dispenses with the need for electric heating in the other rooms.
15 or 16 months ago this cost about £150 - you can probably stick another £50 on it now.
DSC01973.JPG

Last edited:
Great post as Ive been looking at our built in freezer which must be at least 25yrs old and which always seems to be vibrating away,,time to get a meter thing but will probably buy a new one anyway,,,
Thanks for the heads up,,
Steve
There have been a few post of seriously old fridges and freezers' seriously high consumption..

I live offgrid, and the most commonly used cooking devices are electric kettle (until I have my first coffee of the day- I should have a 'do not approach' sign on me lol) then the air frier, then the microwave...
Like many offgriders- I tossed the 'upright fridge' and went a top loader freezer, and am in the middle of converting another to a 'top loader fridge' (a simple task- especially if you are a electrical fitter by trade lol)- the difference in power consuption between an upright (where the cold air 'falls out' every time you open the door) and a top loader is quite dramatic- especially for those that have family members that open the door and then 'browse' the contents- Those with a 'wattmeter' can look and see the power peak used after even a single door opening to recool the interior (especially in summer here, where 35-40C can be seen for weeks on end)
:-O
(I'll have to take pics next time I'm at my mates place- he did the same a while back- his 'fridge' has 'lift up' compartments made out of drawer slides and stainless racking fitted inside the ex 'freezer' compartment to make access easier- was so much better than the old 'hanging baskets' in the freezer that he converted that too)

Having brought a Ninja 15 in 1 I can say that we are seeing a reduction in electricity usage, I am putting this down to the fact you turn an oven on and wait ten minutes plus for it to get upto temperature whereas the Ninja seems to get there quicker and cook faster.

I would not assume a combi boiler is more efficient in any situation, a lot get fitted simply because they are a cheaper option and you don't need a hot water cylinder but for many families who use more hot water than a couple in a flat then having that tank of hot water is more efficient. I have a 150 litre Oso cylinder and a sealed system that cost about £12 a month in gas for hot water.

I put a 6" insulated duct (which is 8" overall and insulated again over and under) from the ceiling above the stove to the far side of the bungalow, the kitchen and the bedroom with an in line Manrose 6" fan, 48w iirc. I makes an amazing difference to the bungalow as a whole,
That's interesting. I did something similar to try and move heat from the kitchen (where the woodburner is) to my office, but my duct is probably 4 inches not 6. It had little or no impact, subjectively, and I have never bothered measuring the effect. I guess my duct and/or fan was too small.

There have been a few post of seriously old fridges and freezers' seriously high consumption..
I will have to measure how much our fridge uses. I have no idea how old it is; it was left by the previous owner when we moved here in 2004 and we thought "it will do for a while".

That's interesting. I did something similar to try and move heat from the kitchen (where the woodburner is) to my office, but my duct is probably 4 inches not 6. It had little or no impact, subjectively, and I have never bothered measuring the effect. I guess my duct and/or fan was too small.
Did you have a ceiling fan or an in line one? I started with a ceiling fan - an Expelair - which failed after a couple of months. it didn't make a huge difference, so I looked into it further and went for an inline. It has about three times the throughput as the ceiling fan and is quieter being up in the roof.

I'm not quite sure I understand the question. The fan I used was the sort of extractor fan often used in bathroom walls.

Phil, how do you get on with your Ninja Foodi? My wife and I have been discussing whether to get one. A local family have one for sale secondhand but almost new. They freely admit they don’t use it and don’t really get on with it. There are several components to this. First is the cost. They are asking £200 for a model that was £260. Yes, proportionately it is a bargain, relatively speaking, but how much electricity will you need to save to get even some of your money back - it has a 1700W heater element in it. Granted, a bit different to a 3Kw Oven. Yes it seems versatile, but it won’t cook a (say) roast chicken, roast potatoes and veg all in one go. So you will still be using other cooking “elements “, microwave probably. We are still sitting on the fence I suppose, but would like to hear your, and anyone else for that matter, opinion. Will they become the latest must have gadget used twice and slung in the cupboard never again to see the light of day? Thanks for your views.
Hi Brian,
I bought an Instant Vortex Plus air fryer after reading a lot of reviews and think it's great. It gets used almost every day, the oven is only rarely used now, should have got one years ago but got misled by the "fryer" part, we use it as a replacement for the grill and roasting that the oven did. It's 1700W but the rule is generally look at the instructions on your food then set the air fryer for 20 degrees less and cut the cooking time by 20% That combined with a three minute warm up time (grill/oven took 10 ish) means it should be a lot more economical and I put the food in for the warm up anyway as v few foods need to go into a preheated oven.
This model has a single large pan, enough to get two fish fillets in and surrounded by chopped root veg so it's fine for a family of two. Takes a bit of getting used to but has a window so you can monitor progress. We cook a lot from frozen, I just made of note of temp/time that I used for future ref. Must admit some things get a quick blast in the microwave to get some heat into the middle and then a few mins in the air fryer to crisp up (onion bhajis come out great). Hope that's useful.

When my next door neighbour make the early cup of tea in the morning he puts the remaining hot water in a flask for thr mid-morning coffee. Also,you could use the remaining water for washing up.

When my next door neighbour make the early cup of tea in the morning he puts the remaining hot water in a flask for thr mid-morning coffee. Also,you could use the remaining water for washing up.
The 200mL of scalding water that is left in my kettle is quite useful for a bit spot weed killing. No worries about weed killer drift and complete safe after a minutes cooling. But you will only get one weed at a time.

Latest posts

Back