What ideas have you had for reducing Electricity consumption

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes we use the aluminium spike device and it does reduce cooling time and perfect results. We prefer a crispy baked spud so the ultimate solution would be spiked spuds done in an air fryer.

I keep reading how little difference they make, but wonder why if that's the case it's used throughout Northern Countries. According to a long time experienced window fitter I spoke to, the main problem with triple glazing in this country is that the frames produced here aren't deep enough, so the panels made to fit them haven't sufficient gaps.

My mother had a house built 44 years ago - the architect advised her not to have double glazing as it wasn't worth the extra cost for what it saved. I was amazed at the time.
I think there's good and bad double/triple glazing, you pays your money etc. We bought cheap to replace the single pane windows as it was all we could justify at the time.

According to a long time experienced window fitter I spoke to, the main problem with triple glazing in this country is that the frames produced here aren't deep enough, so the panels made to fit them haven't sufficient gaps.
You wouldn't normally fit triple glazing to an existing window - you build (or buy) a frame that suits the triple glazing .... for most uk properties, it's a package deal.

You wouldn't normally fit triple glazing to an existing window - you build (or buy) a frame that suits the triple glazing .... for most uk properties, it's a package deal.
I didn't mean fitting it to existing frames, the fitter made the point that new frames made in this Country are not designed for the like of 4 - 20 - 4 - 20 - 4 panels - which to be fully efficient they need to be, 20mm being the optimum gap, apparently. The panels are 4 - 9 - 4 - 9 - 4 or thereabouts to fit a standard frame, so little different thermally to a 4 - 20 - 4.

If you work out the figures between AA and C, the difference in insulation value is not as great as you'd suppose. I had two large windows done last summer and went for the best rated (I'd rather regret doing something than not doing something) - I winced at the price ....................I bet I'd wince a bit more if I got the quote now. :LOL:

Last edited:
wow ! what an amazing response o my post ... my notifications are not working (story of my life )
There are some excellent ideas and practices here many of which we could all benefit from by incorporating them into our energy saving efforts.

Before we installed our new combi CH boiler this year our old central heating and hot water cylinder system wouldn't produce hot water for washing up without also having the heating on .......(diverter valve issue) so we put a huge saucepan on the smallest gas hob with a close fitting lid and the lowest setting. It sat there all day and cost a negligible amount compared to boiling a kettle every hour for cups of tea and washing up. .

The other problem it solved was having to wait up to 2x minutes for the boiler to heat the water and for the water to heat all the pipework from the boiler upstairs down to the kitchen sink tap . I am now thinking of installing a small electric instant hot water heater under the sink to save all that wasted energy every time we need some hot water at the sink. I'll need to do some comparative energy consumption calculations to see if its cost effective compared to using the combi.

Something many do not realise is the main benefit of triple glazing is the significant reduction in sound transmission. The larger the gap to the double glazed units the more effective the sound reduction is, 4-6" is ideal .If you live next to a busy road, a School, light industry or noisy neighbours ie dogs barking, loud music and kids screaming all day long. The sound reduction is simply life changing in terms of stress reduction alone.

The first thing we noticed years ago when had double glazed French doors fitted was the noise reduction. The fitter said it was the first comment everyone made.

My neighbour has one of the hot water storage devices that holds something like a gallon so she doesn't boil a kettle n times a day for tea. I shall look into them.

We've started to boil the kettle if pans need washing rather than pulling hot water from the tank, so that'll save water and power by not leaving the pipework full of hot water to go cold. Water rates will go up, they are bound to.

It's ok to look at the energy efficiency of double glazing but then why are so many people building houses with huge windows, it must be like living in a goldfish bowl. perhaps they are exhibitionist.

With double glazing you want warm edge spacer bars between the pains, black in color and not aluminium.

Last edited:
I notice quite small newly built properties with windows that to me at least are much smaller than they should be, so I assume they're designed for energy efficiency, but conversely there are "luxury" houses going up everywhere that have huge glass frontages. Odd.

I notice quite small newly built properties with windows that to me at least are much smaller than they should be, so I assume they're designed for energy efficiency, but conversely there are "luxury" houses going up everywhere that have huge glass frontages. Odd.

I have noticed that as well, wonder how they get on for fire escape purposes ?

I just love that term "luxury houses" what a sales pitch to sell for a bigger profit. What is a luxury house, I expect something that is more about image than anything else and which will probably cost more to keep warm. Perhaps having big windows is really a statement that is saying I am wealthy enough to heat this house and the garden. Others like me just think what a dick, obviously no interest in our enviroment or the planet.

My needs and finances are about the DeWalt - other brands are available - level. Seriously, I am happy to do my bit. But if you consider the environmental cost in the manufacture of some of these products, where do you draw the line? At my (very low) skill level, I get a better straight line cut with an “ordinary” saw, for which I think I paid about £7 in Screwfix. Plus the exercise keeps me warm, and I didn’t use any electricity.
I have used a japanese hand saw for a number of years now and now find it easier to use and keep straight using the back stroke to cut

the main benefit of triple glazing is the significant reduction in sound transmission.
The first step to reduce sound transmission is to draught proof - sound waves pass through any gap.

The larger the gap to the double glazed units the more effective the sound reduction is, 4-6" is ideal .
4" to 6" spacing ain't at all brilliant for thermal performance though - the internal convection currents see to that.

warm edge spacer bars between the pains, black in color
Other colours are available ... grey's quite nice ...

I think we have a lot to learn from the Japanese when it comes to woodworking, pulling a saw to cut is really logical as it keeps the blade in tension. Our concept is like pushing string.
As my wife discovered last week when she used my lovely little Nonpareil dovetail saw on a piece of damp 2" x 2" and put a kink in it.

The only problem is the glazing in upvc is smaller due to larger frames so costs more to light rooms in the day (side windows on bays im thinking ) I used to build replacement frames in wood to fit double glazing using 50mmx50mm timber upvc is about 75 x60 so 50mm less light all round some side windows end up with less than 225 wide glass showing

Back