What Finish for a Solid Oak House Name Sign?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albus16

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a relative novice and looking for advice on finishing oak for external use.

I'm making a house name sign for my brother as a wedding gift. It will be a solid (European I think??) oak board around 12 x 6 inches and about 1 inch thick.

Whenever I have used oak before I have always used Danish oil to finish it and love the effect that gives. But obviously for this project, where the board will be constantly outside enduring weather (they live in Bristol so generally speaking bad weather!), and, although I may be wrong, I assumed that Danish oil wouldn't be weather-resistant enough for this.

As I said I love the finish that Danish oil gives so want to use something that will look and feel akin to that. I also want to steer clear of lacquers/varnishes as I'm not keen on their glossy look if at all possible, although correct me if that isn't possible.

So does anyone have any advice on what I might use to give a relatively natural finish akin to Danish Oil while gaining weather protection in the process?

Any help much appreciated,

Alex

Well ... errmm ... danish oil :D just don't wipe it.

I always use Danish oil on oak for the outside, as you say it looks really nice. I normally put on around 6 coats for outside. However it was only a few days ago I was board enough waiting for some danish oil to soak in so I could wipe that I read the tin. It recommended that for outdoor projects you give it 3 coats but do not wipe off the surplus.

You could use Tung oil which is the basic ingredient of danish oil but takes longer to dry.
Teak Oil is a good one but I don't know what it looks like on oak.

EDIT.
To stop the glossy finsih of unwiped danish oil on oak you can apply with one of them plastic dish washing scours with a sponge on the other side.

Tung oil is great. I used it on an oak dining table 4 years ago and it still looks good. Allow 4 days between coats.

Woodfinish Man":1egjcx6v said:
In our opinion the best clear exterior protection is achieved by using Osmo UV Protection Oil. We've tested many exterior finishes over the years and if you are looking for a clear finish this is the best one we've tested.

Hope this helps

Ian McAslan

I'd agree with Ian - Osmo UV protection oil (2 coats required) will leave a lovely looking oil finish that lasts well outside and is really easy to redo when required - you just wipe on another coat. It also slows down the appearance of that nasty grey look that exterior wood tends to develop over time.

Thanks for all your help guys, I ended up going for Danish Oil as that was what I had to hand.

Went for about 4 coats, sanding and buffing in between coats. It looked really nice! Would post a photo but it was rushed down to the wedding before I thought.

Guess only time will tell how durable it is!

Thanks again,

Alex

Latest posts

Back