What fastener is this for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Got a bag full when I bought a load of fasteners from auction.

There's a standard SS bolt with a rubber sleeve that has a brass insert for the bolt to nip up to.

Just wondering what they're used for as they look pretty specific.

IMG_2481.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2481.JPG
    IMG_2481.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 212
According to Google images, they're asphalt speed bump fixings.

dzj":14t5den0 said:
According to Google images, they're asphalt speed bump fixings.

They do look like asphalt speed bump fixings BUT they're only 30mm!!!

IMG_2482.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2482.JPG
    IMG_2482.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 170
In fact I wish they were asphalt speed bump fixings because they're £4 each at Screwfix and I must have 150 of them!!!!!

Drill a hole the width of the rubber sleeve, poke said item through and tighten bolt and it expands as it squashes. I use them to fix my bike seat on to the frame. (It has a sheet aluminium base)

I found these that look like a similar application.

51VefhOXDML.jpg

RAWLPLUG-M10-rawlnut-1055-installation-1800x1200_0.jpg

One is for a toilet seat.

It looks like you can use them like you would a rawl plug maybe???

Attachments

• 51VefhOXDML.jpg
    51VefhOXDML.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 159
  • RAWLPLUG-M10-rawlnut-1055-installation-1800x1200_0.jpg
    RAWLPLUG-M10-rawlnut-1055-installation-1800x1200_0.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 159
angelboy":253kjgxs said:
Got a bag full when I bought a load of fasteners from auction.

There's a standard SS bolt with a rubber sleeve that has a brass insert for the bolt to nip up to.

Just wondering what they're used for as they look pretty specific.

I have used them, to fix down Acme stair treads. They are on most of the concrete staircases in London Underground stations.
If anyone's interested they are a dung fixing.

Cavity fixings, I've got a box of mixed lengths. Very useful on various surfaces but if you overtighten in materials such as plasterboard they'll pull through.

what Lons said although I was told they are called rubber anchor or rivet nuts, rub nuts or well nuts.

they were from the marine world as they have no corrosion increase and they do good in places that rattle a lot, kwakisaki, sucksuki and blonda all used them at some point for things like screens as it was easier for them to install (and a pain in the bottom for us to remove). they are meant for holding sheets together, they wearn't meant for use in plasterboard as they don't expand enough to spread the load but they are used by many these days.

as to the worth, a bag of 50 is about a tenner.

Back