what drill should i buy???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippymart

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinking of buying a drill for mainly drilling green oak with auger bits and was wondering what recommendations people have. Don't do enough to warrant buying a chain morticer but will mainly be using for mortices using bits over 25mm diameter.
Thanks guys

I wouldn't use a percussion drill with auger bits, they're not really designed for the hammering.
You need a mains drill capable of slow speed drilling or a very powerful cordless.
And good quality auger bits if you plan on drilling many holes.

Or, what about using a brace - cheap, reliable and quiet. A 10-14" sweep probably best for the large holes envisaged.

I use a Bosch multidrill this is the SDS plus one that will drill, hammer drill and just hammer, it comes with keyless and SDS+ chucks and I prefer to use a 20mm SDS auger and join the holes.

The 20mm is also ideal for peg holes

pic011.jpg

Its also good for all your masonary and concrete drilling, core drilling as it has a clutch and the odd bit of light kango work

J

I've got the old version of that drill, I've owned it since 2000 and it has worked very hard for me. I think it may be coming to the end of its life now but it has been so good I will replace it with the new one

Hi
I don't want an SDS as I already have one and want to keep the overall length of bit and drill down and my sds doesn't have reverse. Just debating whether to buy a Bosch or Makita or maybe an AEG that i have seen. As for a bit and brace, time is money son.

Metabo have quite A wide range of drills out at the moment. I have A few metabo power tools and find them very solid .most Metabo tools also have A three year waranty as well. Phil

Back