what drawer runners...Blum, Hafele?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahomo59

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to order some under mount soft close drawer runners for a kitchen, last lot i used for some wardrobes i got off ebay about 2 years ago.

I was looking at these just because i have an account. Is there a vast difference say these over Blum? Is it best to go for the more expensive ones with all the various adjustments on them? Secondly do i bother with the jigs for installation or rely on tape measure?

http://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/p/grass-dy ... 1937/10354

Both Blum and the Tipmatic slides are a good quality product in my experience. I suggest basing your choice on availability, what you're comfortable with, and perhaps price, although there's not likely to be much in it on price. I've never fitted either with a manufacturer supplied jig, but that's because I don't fit this type of slide on a regular basis. When required I've usually just made up a little jig of my own to guide hole drilling once I've done a test set-up to confirm measurements. Slainte.

Personally I stick with Blum for runners etc, mainly because a few years ago a very nice rep gave me a whole load of installation jigs FOC.
I know jigs are easy to make but having the real deal from Blum is nice.
The Movento runners are lovely to use with a considerable amount of adjustment (which helps if your cabinets run out a bit!!) and having the jigs makes installation a breeze.

Stumbled across Hettich runners a few years back. Can't fault the various types I have had off them.

Zeddedhed":3hjiulh3 said:
Personally I stick with Blum for runners etc, mainly because a few years ago a very nice rep gave me a whole load of installation jigs FOC.
I know jigs are easy to make but having the real deal from Blum is nice.
The Movento runners are lovely to use with a considerable amount of adjustment (which helps if your cabinets run out a bit!!) and having the jigs makes installation a breeze.

I don't want to hijack the thread but I wonder if anyone can clarify a point on the new Movento runners, I seem to recall reading somewhere that with Movento you don't have to choose between soft closing and self opening, you can have both. Is this true?

MMUK":1387e1l7 said:
Blum over Hafele any day of the week! The Hafele stuff is thin low quality rubbish.
Häfele do sell Häfele branded undermount slides, along with quite a range of other Häfele branded hardware. However, the product the mahomo59 pointed us to in the original post isn't a Häfele product, it's a Grass undermount runner Häfele stock and resell. The Grass item costs approximately twice as much as the apparently equivalent Häfele offering - given this price difference it does seem likely there's also a difference in quality. All I'll say is that on different occasions I've installed Blum undermount slides (a choice suggested in the original post) and the Grass Dynamoov Tipmatic undermount slide in question, and both worked well. Slainte.

Cheers folks, looking like Blum. Been on issac lord and there is plenty on there with discounts for multiple buys. I have several kitchens coming up and would very much like to use the same runner on all, so as to get to know them. Just need to play with the leigh jig and I'll be away...
Will buy the jig (the one for about £20) as well as it will see use. On another note, carcass depth is 510mm. 500mm or 450mm runners? Also assuming the 30kg limit will be fine for kitchen drawers, max width of drawer 800mm.

mahomo59":2bha9hlh said:
On another note, carcass depth is 510mm. 500mm or 450mm runners?
That will depend upon the drawer and cabinet configuration. Are the drawer fronts inset or overlay, and attached to a separate drawer box? You can also make the drawer fronts an integral part of the drawer construction, i.e., attached directly to the drawer sides, but this doesn't change the cabinet depth tolerance required. And this method of attaching the front provides slightly more storage space, roughly 1/2" depth front to back, along with a somewhat more challenging construction methodology.

All the same, it looks as if whichever configuration you go for you should be able to use a 500 mm slide if the internal depth is 510 mm, giving a minimum of about 6 - 7 mm spare at the back. But if you're unsure I suggest a mock up to iron out all the wrinkles. Slainte.

Sgian Dubh":7nubkqi4 said:
MMUK":7nubkqi4 said:
Blum over Hafele any day of the week! The Hafele stuff is thin low quality rubbish.
Häfele do sell Häfele branded undermount slides, along with quite a range of other Häfele branded hardware. However, the product the mahomo59 pointed us to in the original post isn't a Häfele product, it's a Grass undermount runner Häfele stock and resell. The Grass item costs approximately twice as much as the apparently equivalent Häfele offering - given this price difference it does seem likely there's also a difference in quality. All I'll say is that on different occasions I've installed Blum undermount slides (a choice suggested in the original post) and the Grass Dynamoov Tipmatic undermount slide in question, and both worked well. Slainte.

Wot E Says LOL :mrgreen:

I must admit my favourite runners are the Grass DWD range but Hafele have discontinued them.
I stocked up with loads of them and the drawer kits and still have 4 sets left for a 500 wide drawer unit which is due out next week after that I will try the Grass Replacements through Hafele.

Blum I have only used a few times so I really cant say either way on them

I used Blum draw slides for my kitchen. They are full extension 540 mm (I think) soft close and they have been faultless for the last 7 years and they do have to support some heavy draws (eg 500x670x130mm full of plates) and they support the weight with no fuss.

Back