What does 'organic' mean to you?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andrew,

You mentioned:

"Organic" fruit and veg is (or should be) grown without pesticides,herbicides and artificial fertilizers. e.g. if you grow alternate rows of onions and carrots,the smell of the onions keeps carrotfly away without having to spray chemicals on them.

Just wondering what word or term is used to describe this, I'd like to get more info, I heard of another one where nettles helped, but can't remember the details.

it is regularly called Companion Planting or Intercropping

I have an allotment size 130 feet x 45 feet

I have had this for about 10 years everything I grow is only fertilised using natural products, IE what comes out of the ground or growing in the ground.

To me that is organic growing.

And let me tell you the produce tastes fantastic, veg taken from the ground and eaten the same day, you cannot beat the taste,.

I have Apple , Plum. Pear and Cherry trees, Autumn fruiting Raspberries, Gooseberries, Blackberries, Redcurrants and Blackcurrants, This makes about 40 pound of Jam each year and about 20 pound of the apples are bottled or frozen

I also grow the usual Vegetables , early, second early and maincrop potatoes, Onions, leeks, carrots , beetroot Beans, Peas, Cabbage and Cauliflower, Shallots and Celery.

In the 15ft x 9ft greenhouse I grow quite a few Tomatoes , I Do NOt grow Cucumber because I cannot stand the taste of them.

This is why my time in the workshop is limited in the Spring and Summer, too busy growing GOOD FOOD.

Back