What do you think to this old planer/thicknesser?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFS19

Established Member
Reaction score
Dewalt DW1150. Have a chance to pick one up locally for £160.
I know dewalt is generally trustworthy gear though I've never owned any. This model is pretty old, and I guess it'll depend on the condition and amount of work that may need to go into setting it up because of that.

I know thoughts on these kind 'desk top' machines are mixed. To be expected when you usually see these double the size, much heavier and far more expensive.

Opinions? Picture below, but not of the actual one i'd be having.

Thanks!
$_86.JPG

It is a better little machine than most rickety Asian built ones they sell these days.
It has rubber infeed rollers that sometimes need to be replaced.
I'd buy it, but you might have to put in some work for it to perform adequately.

For £160 I'd take the chance especially if its got rubber rollers which I don't have on my machine that costs x20 that. I can't speak to that model but my old record 260 which is a similar size gave good service and saved hours of labour.

mbartlett99":thh6qsn4 said:
For £160 I'd take the chance especially if its got rubber rollers which I don't have on my machine that costs x20 that. I can't speak to that model but my old record 260 which is a similar size gave good service and saved hours of labour.
dzj":thh6qsn4 said:
It is a better little machine than most rickety Asian built ones they sell these days.
It has rubber infeed rollers that sometimes need to be replaced.
I'd buy it, but you might have to put in some work for it to perform adequately.

Thank you both for the replies (unsure how to multi-quote on here).
Can I ask what the advantage of having the rubber rollers is and how difficult they are to replace?

Thanks!

The regular ribbed steel rollers can mark your work when taking a fine cut - they exert a fair bit of pressure. Thats super aggravating when you're coming down to a final dimension.

As to replacing them I just don't know for that machine might be an idea to check for spares first or get the seller to send you a photo to see if they're damaged in the first place.

Type 'Dewalt DW1150' in the google custom search box, there are 4 pages of discussion about this p/t.
HTH

mbartlett99":qfe391ja said:
The regular ribbed steel rollers can mark your work when taking a fine cut - they exert a fair bit of pressure. Thats super aggravating when you're coming down to a final dimension.

As to replacing them I just don't know for that machine might be an idea to check for spares first or get the seller to send you a photo to see if they're damaged in the first place.

right I see, thanks for clearing that up. I'll have a look if spares are available.

Back