what do you all think of this???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just been looking at this lathe the other one i was going to get as let me down so on the hunt AGAIN the guy selling this doesnt know much about it so thought id ask you guys thanks..

Attachments

• lathe 2.jpg
    lathe 2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 962
I have a Macallister lathe. Over here its the brand name for Castorama which is the same group as B&Q in the UK.

It has pressed steel bed and frankly, I would give it a big miss, you need cast iron to have any hope of it staying straight. I use mine for.... nothing at all now, although I might get a buffing system on it at some stage, its all its worth using it for.

Even something like the link below wuld be preferable frankly, it would start you off to see how much you enjoy turning. I'm sure that there will be plenty of advice coming soon.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Scheppach-DMT...UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item20b1275cc8

I had one like it.

It was OK as a starter Lathe but you will upgrading soon. If it's cheap enough and you haven't done much turning before it could be a cheap stepping stone to see if you like turning.

The wheels on the headstock end are there for a good reason,,,,,,,,,,,, they help you get it out of your workshop quicker LOL....... (hammer) :mrgreen: :shock:

I agree with Whacky to a point, but using a wobbly type Lathe to start with, may put you off and make you think that you are incapable and just can't get the hang of woodturning......just my opinion #-o

This is the one im bidding on i got £150 on it at the moment lets see how things go.. comes with the whole lot underneath also

Attachments

• my lathe.jpg
    my lathe.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 796
Hi eastyorkshirelad,

I have one of those (your second lathe option - the one you're currently bidding on). It's made in China and it's nothing fancy, but I've been very happy with mine.

I did bolt mine to the floor, though. It helps when turning some very-out-of-round stuff.

In South Africa, it's currently retailing at around 300 UK pounds (I paid just under 200 pounds) - so it sounds like a good deal to me if you get all the other gear as well.

Cheers
Steve

With all that kit underneath it, it's a bargain............the chuck would cost you that amount +

I do have one similar, ( TBF 1000 ), bolted to the floor it's great.

One has the feeling it might go quite a bit higher because of all the extras. Have you a top amount in mind? There are 4 days left for others to see it.

The Axminster equivalent is £233 brand new so you shouldn't go mad. However, as already pointed out, the chuck and tools would probably cost at least the same again so there is room for some increase.

Latest posts

Back