What chuck for Arundel j4 junior m24x2.5 spindle?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some original Arundel literature where a J4 MK11 is illustrated. This lathe has bronze bush bearings and is listed as having spindle threads of 7/8”x14 RH and 5/8”x14 LH .These were made in the mid 1980 s.

That sounds more likely than a one off, but badly worn if it started out at 7/8, which is 22.2 mm.
Although I agree that 7/8 x 14 makes more sense, there is no way that the thread presented could possibly be that spec..

The root dia. of a 7/8 x 14 Whit form would be 0.783" (19.9mm) and with an OD of 20.7mm that would make the depth of thread 0.4mm (0.016") whereas the enlarged photo shows that the (trunacted) DoT is 0.033" (0.85mm) so if the OD had been reduced to 20.7mm the truncation shown would be very much greater.

I've rounded these figures for clarity.

'Wear' would not affect the root dia. - well it might, but imperceptably - it might affect the thread form, ie. making it thinner, and that is not evident from the photographs supplied. This does suppose that @John Brown's assertion that the OD is correctly measured at 20.7mm but that is evidenced again in the photo's.

Although I agree that 7/8 x 14 makes more sense, there is no way that the thread presented could possibly be that spec..

The root dia. of a 7/8 x 14 Whit form would be 0.783" (19.9mm) and with an OD of 20.7mm that would make the depth of thread 0.4mm (0.016") whereas the enlarged photo shows that the (trunacted) DoT is 0.033" (0.85mm) so if the OD had been reduced to 20.7mm the truncation shown would be very much greater.

I've rounded these figures for clarity.

'Wear' would not affect the root dia. - well it might, but imperceptably - it might affect the thread form, ie. making it thinner, and that is not evident from the photographs supplied. This does suppose that @John Brown's assertion that the OD is correctly measured at 20.7mm but that is evidenced again in the photo's.
Yes, that was a careless remark. If it was that badly worn the threads would look very different. Like you I have a feeling his BSP nut is going to fit.
Oh the suspense :)

Latest posts

Back