What Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome, Gordon!

For the general discussion...

If time is less an issue, rescue old chisels. Still better steel than the LN in that they are not so brittle. These are the best value as long as one does not try to purchase so called collectables like the Stanley 750s.

The LN are also a "value" chisel if one compares them in price to a set of Barrs--which are better than the LN are. Value is relative when value = price.

For the most bang for the buck if one is comparing performance, I would buy the AI after using a set for a couple weeks--which is all the longer I used the LN. The Barr for a day--but nice they are.

Take care, Mike

Hi!

Quot homines, tot sententiae! Let there go still some more days and you will receive even more personal opinions.

I have a set of British Footprint chisels which were sold through Dieter Schmid with wooden handles, however, they are no longer available. I am very pleased with them as far as not too heavy work is concerned.

I also own some Kirschens and liek them very much, too. If you consider to purchase Kirschens then you are maybe well advised not to take the polished ones. The polishing procedure may result in uneven (but well polished!) backs of the chisels and it takes a lot of work to make them dead flat again. Now, Kirschen also offers a set of chisels with unpolished backs which is likely to be the better choice. Also available through Dieter at a reasonable price.

Also have a look at www.dick.biz. Their low-price Japanese chisels are a good choice for trying these chisels out in general: easy to sharpen, very sharp egdes possible that hold for a good time (in my opoinion chisels do not necessarily need to be made of some Japanese emperor's damask cutlery which again was made from anchor chains of the famous 12th Kung-Fu-dynasty etc. pp. Simples toys work as well and cost only a fraction).

Regards
Philipp

Back