What bowl gouge would you recommend?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that's a great response. Thanks everyone!

Spindle":206uzqff said:
YouSpinMeRightRound":206uzqff said:
is there any safe way I can practice with regular gouges?
I'm not sure what you mean by 'regular gouges', especially as it seems you have no turning tools at present, (sorry if I've jumped to the wrong conclusion there).
I have a set of basic chisels that I'm happy with for now (except for the lack of a bowl gouge), but it was a reasonable assumption that I had none yet. I was talking about using a spindle gouge.

NickWelford":206uzqff said:
You would do really well to join a local club, where you can usually get to try different tools and see how they feel to you.
I'd love to follow this advice, but there don't appear to be any local turning clubs.

CHJ":206uzqff said:
One of the limitations you face is that of having to buy on-line ("awaiting to be delivered"), as mentioned by Pete the feel of a tool in your hands can influence your turning
when one feels right in the hand it invariable performs better on the lathe.
Interesting. There's a tool shop in town with some turning tools, very small selection but I've drooled over some Sorby chisels there in the past. I prefer to buy online because they're much more expensive, but if the shop is actually providing a service I don't mind paying their prices. I'll drop in later in the week.

Random Orbital Bob":206uzqff said:
Safety wise. Don't use a spindle gouge on a bowl. Tang versus solid shaft inside the handle can cause tool to snap with catches.
Good to know. I'm fond of my eyes, and their chisel-free status.

The take-home message I'm getting is:
a) It doesn't matter who I buy it from, as long as they're reputable.
b) Once (a) is met, choose based on how the tool feels in my hand (and price!)
c) Probably go for 3/8"

Continental style spindle gouges are forged from flat stock and have a tang, the Sorby 840H34 3/4in Spindle Gouge is an example.
5732.jpg
Never use on endgrain. (Bowl Blank)

Bodrighy":2w90d30a said:
I didn't realise that they still made then like that Chas, obviously not looked hard enough LOL.

Pete
They're great if you have a skew aversion, and the wider form gives you a long between grinds work time for most tasks as you can rotate onto a different quadrant and still maintain proper rest support.

CHJ":38nu0au1 said:
A word of caution when referring to 3/8" versus 1/2" bowl gouges, dependent upon brand and which catalogue you are looking at, the means of cataloguing the size may differ.

Some brands use the round stock diameter to rate size.
Others use the distance across the top of the flute.

Therefore a 1/2" round stock with a 3/8" flute may have two differing size ratings dependent upon brand.

Five out of my six regular use round gouges are 1/2" stock, the other is 3/8" stock (or metric equivalents), I would go along with the suggestion by Mick to err on the smaller sizes (I.E. don't buy a 1/2" flute, 5/8" stock) gouge.

As far as I am aware the British way to size a bowl gouge is from the inside of the flute on one side to the outside of the bar on the other side. The American way is the diameter of the bar. So an American 1/2" bowl gouge is a British 3/8".

There is more confusion when it comes to the measurement of spindle gouges, spindle roughing gouges, continental gouges etc. Some manufacturers use the British way of defining a bowl gouge. some use the width of the flute and some use the diameter/overall width of the bar.

What appears to have been overlooked in some of the replies is that as you increase the size of bowl gouge although you increase the stability of the tool you also tend to increase the width of cut. Can the size of lathe, it's power and swing cope with a 1/2" bowl gouge? IMHO it is OTT. A 3/8" bowl gouge with a standard profile flute such as the Sorby one with a medium swept back grind will be perfectly sufficient. It would also allow for a later upgrade of the lathe to a larger one and still be perfectly useable.

Another vote for the Henry Taylor Superflute as mentioned above.
Reassuringly big and solid, it gives confidence for both heavy stock removal, but also fine delicate finishing cuts.
It's always my 'first go to' tool when bowl turning.

Well, I'm glad I came in under budget on the lathe and chuck. I walked in to the shop in town today, left £120 poorer and with a Sorby 6 piece set.

Thanks again for all the advice, everyone who commented.

YouSpinMeRightRound":24wayggj said:
Well, I'm glad I came in under budget on the and chuck. I walked in to the shop in town today, left £120 poorer and with a Sorby 6 piece set.

You will not be disappointed. Now you can start to make a list of all the other bits and pieces you will want or need, OH yes this is only the start :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dalboy":15egec6x said:
YouSpinMeRightRound":15egec6x said:
Well, I'm glad I came in under budget on the and chuck. I walked in to the shop in town today, left £120 poorer and with a Sorby 6 piece set.

You will not be disappointed. Now you can start to make a list of all the other bits and pieces you will want or need, OH yes this is only the start :lol: :lol: :lol:

List already started, I'm afraid. Top of the list is something for cutting threads.

Edit: and eccentric turning. How do any of you have any money left?

YouSpinMeRightRound":urt1vgov said:
List already started, I'm afraid. Top of the list is something for cutting threads.

Strange choice for someone who wanted to turn bowls - or are you coming across to spindles as well :) :wink:

If so a long hole boring set up should be high on the list

Regards Mick

Spindle":awr12sji said:
YouSpinMeRightRound":awr12sji said:

Strange choice for someone who wanted to turn bowls - or are you coming across to spindles as well :) :wink:

If so a long hole boring set up should be high on the list

Regards Mick
No, spindles really isn't my thing. The threads are for wooden nuts and bolts (and related bits), beloved of a certain 4 year old.

Latest posts

Back