What blade ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggflan

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Dewalt 703 mitre saw which is a vast improvement on my old mac tools one which i was very impressed with .

My question is this i cut across the grain on softwoods everyday and the standard blade is giving far to much tearout under the cut even using very little pressue , I know i need to change the blade but what would you gents recomend i change to, i was thinking another 48 or possibly 60t as i said im cutting planed softwood across the grain and need a clean cut both sides ,

Blade is 250mm with a 30mm bore

Cheers

I would go for a 60 tooth, Freud are the ones I use most, but CMT are good too. Take a look at Axminster, Rutlands and D&M sites for a choice. You usually get what you pay for with saw blades so I tend to avoid the cheapies.

Cheers, Paul :D

i'm not sure but i think mine is an 80 tooth combination blade designed for miter saws its a cmt as well. I'll check the name of it out. is yours a 10 or 12 inch saw? Because i think the 10 inch has less teeth.

I service those round saws with a 5 tip repeated pattern of 5 degree alternate left right rake followed by a zero. The relief angle is also 5 degrees with zero top bevel. The 10" saws have 60T and the 12" have 72T tungsten carbite.
You'd actually be surprised how much of a difference taking off the saw and cleaning out the gullets with some rock salt , water and a nail brush makes for tearout after you've been cutting for a while.

Quinness":2ontgnq4 said:
I service those round saws with a 5 tip repeated pattern of 5 degree alternate left right rake followed by a zero. The relief angle is also 5 degrees with zero top bevel. The 10" saws have 60T and the 12" have 72T tungsten carbite.
You'd actually be surprised how much of a difference taking off the saw and cleaning out the gullets with some rock salt , water and a nail brush makes for tearout after you've been cutting for a while.

Thank you for your advice, I take it that rock salt will not cause rusting?

The 25T blade that came with my DW703 is ok for framing timber or firewood but not much use for trim work. I bought an Axminster Axcalibur 80T negative rake mitre saw blade. I've had it for about a year and so far, so good, though I've only put it to fairly light use.

when I use the rock salt I'm cleaning about 50 saws at a time and I mix just a handful with about 20 liters of water. Out of each batch of 50 at least 10 saws need nothing more then a good cleaning. If you're just cleaning one saw and you have time just the nail brush and water will work too.Anyway ..after you clean out the gullets and or sharpen it just give it a wipe with some light oil on a rag especially if you wont be using it for a while.

I've never bought anything silverline that was any good, so as a rule i don't buy from them period!!! If three things were rubbish then i suspect it's all rubbish.

I have used Dewalt's own 80T blade in my DW700 for several years with very good results on softwood - but you need to take it very easy ! I use it only for "fine" work.

So i can now answer my own question about the silverline saw blade , i thought why not give it a go for the sake of a fiver and a bit of postage :wink:

What a load of rubbish , fitted last night and cut some pine i had next to the saw , the finish was terrible , tear out like it was a well used blade and vibration like you would not belive , took it off and replaced with the standard 24 tooth dewalt blade and the cut is so much better ..

So a lesson learnt by me :oops: cheap silverline saw blades are only good for filling a space in a drawer :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right im off to find me a proper blade now :roll:

Digit":2sguguwt said:
The difference will be a revelation Mic, trust me!

Roy.

I know it will be Roy :lol: I tried the silverline one for 2 reasons , first i thought its only £4.99 (im a cheap skate) second was i intended on showing you all that you dont need the most expensive blade you can get and a cheap blade will be just as good :p this backfired somewhat :oops: :oops: :lol:

Latest posts

Back