What are you making today?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been making banister rails from hand made component parts.
Most people aren't aware that traditionally, banister rails were formed from separate parts which are then glued up carefully.
In these days of machinery and spindle moulders it's an almost forgotten art that I'd like to share on here.

Step 1.
Assembling the parts. You can see I've already cut the grooves for the side pieces.
u6ZfulS.jpg

Step 2.
Dry fit and check. You can see that I'm making two different styles of rail here. I've carefully dyed and finished them previous to gluing to suit the different styles.
gB2NCMf.jpg

Step 3.
Mid glue up on one rail. Using hide glue gives a little more open time.
TMWjWRP.jpg

Step 4.
I've nipped the end off on the bandsaw to tidy it up. And we're all done! A quick wax and it's ready to be hung.
Cheers
Chris
xfmevJ7.jpg

Hoping to dovetail the top and bottom of a case and get the shelves fitted to it. Top is half blinds, bottom through, and the shelves I haven't decided - either dado or partial or full length dovetails cut into the case sides. This is the top (the whole thing is two of these cases, a bigger one on the bottom and a smaller on the top - back is tongue and groove, it'll sit in an 8/4 cherry base with a cove, doors on the fronts and moulding or base will cover all of the dovetails (no exposed joinery).

https://i.imgur.com/YNMqRCb.jpg

Back