What are these metal pins called (Dissasembling my Kity 636 for restoration)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always considered this a cotter pin, sometimes with more than one through hole. Used on performance car bonnets instead of the old style straps
I have a box of different sized ones out in the workshop.
1673255304413.png

I have always considered this a cotter pin, sometimes with more than one through hole. Used on performance car bonnets instead of the old style straps
I have a box of different sized ones out in the workshop.
View attachment 150770
I think it's a cotter pin. There are a few other types of the same thing and the roll-pin is a cheaper, modern version of the same thing.

Don't think I related the pin I showed to the original post which I'm perfectly ok with calling a roll pin. Just adding my contribution to the discussion of what constitutes a cotter pin.

As far as I am aware a Swede has always been a Swede and a turnip is a turnip. I like swedes but dislike turnips which are smaller and pinkish but did form a large part of the war diet apparently.

Thinking of a cotter pin, these are what used to hold the pedals onto the shaft of a bicycle in UK terminology.

View attachment 150712
That reminds me of the Shooting Stars episode where the teams had to name a vegetable, one team incorrectly named a swede a turnip and Reeves & Mortimer said 'Yes Correct!' Ulrika Jonsson leading the other team protested and said that is not a turnip, it's a swede, at which point the compares delivered the punchline,-
'No Ulrika, you are the Swede, and that is a turnip'!!

I think it's a cotter pin. There are a few other types of the same thing and the roll-pin is a cheaper, modern version of the same thing.
A roll pin is completely different. It is sprung and has to be knocked into the hole with a punch, where its spring holds it in place. The clevis pin is intended to be readily removed, the hole in the end taking a split or R pin which stops it falling out.

Time for a slice of humble pie. I just went out to my very cold workshop and had a rummage for the box to prove my assertion. And here it is:

1673343742173.jpeg

I was wrong. My memory is not what it used to be, and it didn't used to be that good anyway.

Sorry all!

Time for a slice of humble pie. I just went out to my very cold workshop and had a rummage for the box to prove my assertion. And here it is:

View attachment 150859

I was wrong. My memory is not what it used to be, and it didn't used to be that good anyway.

Sorry all!
That's what is known as an "R" clip, in this part of the country, anyhow. A clevis pin has a head & a hole in t'other end for a split pin which goes through a "U" shaped 'clevis.

That's what is known as an "R" clip, in this part of the country, anyhow. A clevis pin has a head & a hole in t'other end for a split pin which goes through a "U" shaped 'clevis.
So exactly what's shown on the box beside the "R" clip? Just under where it says clevis pin?

So I am in the process of taking my kity 636 to bits to restore it. I am trying to remove the outfeed table, however to remove the bolts holding it on, I must dissasemble the swing up mechanism to allow room for the bolts passage.

To take the main pin out of the swing mechanism I need to remove two of these small cylindrical hollow pins. Does anyone happen to know their names such that I can look them up as to how to remove!

Many Thanks,

Sam
Grub screws

Back