What are these for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bod

Established Member
Reaction score
SAM_0001.JPG

Top is clearly a screwdriver of sorts, marked "W H Clark LtD 1943 ******eld" (Sheffield)
Lower is a brace bit, marked "M.Loukes Sheffield England" M.Loukes is inside a diamond, with Sheffield England underneath.

Both were found a carboot, I presume they are for a special type of fastener, but what sort?
Both are clearly designed and made for purpose, not homemade to get out of a problem.
Neither has much use, if any.
The brace bit one is not the usual type for saw screws, its to thick, and the tips not broad enough.

Bod

Attachments

• SAM_0001.JPG
    SAM_0001.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 892
These are for split screws, of the type you see in old saw handles.

ED65":12tts5bl said:

No, frad not, the tips are not broad enough, if used for that then the brass nuts would be mangled up.
I've got a proper saw screw one , it's much different.

Bod

Well, the top one is a qwerty keyboard used for entering information into a computer. Not sure about the other two I'm afraid. (hammer) :lol:

I'll get my coat.

Something like Tube nuts, often used for terminal connections.

nut.jpg

Attachments

• nut.jpg
    nut.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 828
I don't know the answer, but my speculation goes like this:

They look like a screwdriver and a screwdriver bit, so could have been for undoing something like a screw.
The 1943 date is not usual on ordinary trade tools, but dates are often found on items made for Government or Military contracts.

So my guess is that they were for two sizes of some sort of special, security fixings - where nowadays you'd see Torx or some other 'difficult' head pattern. Made for the military, or possibly Post Office Telephones, as a special design, not available to the general public and not listed in ordinary catalogues.

[All the above was typed - too slowly! - before I saw CHJ's answer.]

Don't what those were designed for but they would be ideal for securing the bolt of my clock mechanism to the body of the clock I'm making!

I used the top one when i worked for avery scales
they had security screws on them
machine screw flat head with just the 2 grooves

the idea was to stop the bakers "fixing" them themselves

Steve

YorkshireMartin":29d8ov2n said:
Well, the top one is a qwerty keyboard used for entering information into a computer. Not sure about the other two I'm afraid. (hammer) :lol:

I'll get my coat.

Just out of curiosity: How do you now it is not an azerty keyboard or some other sort?

SteveF":10yy2m96 said:
I used the top one when i worked for avery scales
they had security screws on them
machine screw flat head with just the 2 grooves

the idea was to stop the bakers "fixing" them themselves

Steve

Oooh! I know this one! I know this one!
Can I share my trivia about a bakers dozen? Because bakers were always a bit fly in olden days, a Bakers dozen is not 12 but actually 13 000. So always ask for a dozen loaves of bread in Sainsburys 'Bakery' Then prosecute them by anciente olde lawe when they give you 12 loaves and not 13 000. I remember it from school.
Mind you, makes you wonder about Bakers doesn't it?
Why are those hats so big, why are they so jolly, why the floury cheeks?
Well, that's where they store all the money they have stolen from you, they just stole from you, the flour is to hide their red cheeked shame because they just stole from you.
Bakers. Are you watching out for them?

(PS Steve, no offence meant in any way. :wink: )

Bod":1ve08fdl said:
ED65":1ve08fdl said:
No, frad not, the tips are not broad enough, if used for that then the brass nuts would be mangled up.
I've got a proper saw screw one , it's much different.
Of the type used in old saw handles, not the ones used in old saw handles Bod.

As you can see from the other responses, there were numerous split-slot screws and nuts made and your drivers were made for specific types/sizes.

This type of fastener head is still used, saw some bits in a set of oddball hex drivers only the other week, along with the usual other security screws. That should probably be 'security' screws now that bits for all of them are fairly easy to come by :mrgreen:

Back