What a great jig!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just made this after seeing a demo of one on You tube.
Kerfjigopen.jpg

Kerfjig.jpg

Rather than describe how it works I will just post this link to the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6_S6lZKLI
Great little jig for half laps and saddle joints I thought. Bit expensive hence my making one. :D

Wow that looks great! Thanks for the tip.

Did you find it easy to work out how to make it?

I agree it is an expensive item and the shipping costs can't be determined before placing an order.

Stephen

Certainly interested me, I have not yet studied the mechanics but I noticed there was a 2" maximum involved..
Is it possible to extend the body to create larger dimensions than this?
Mailee if you have any drawings of yours I would be pleased to get details via pm, if you know what I mean.

Wizer

thanks for the link - extraordinary how one can surf from one topic onto another and another - spent the last hour looking at these kerf jigs etc :oops: :oops: How sick can you get :roll:

I particularly like 9fingers/Bob solution

Dave

yeh the JMP is a lovely bit of kit but I've only seen one forum member buy one and he no longer posts.

After sleeping on it I came up with a simpler option; two spacers, one same thickness as saw kerf, the other a sample of the workpiece. You just swap them over. I'm certainly not the first person to think of this!

No need to measure or set anything.

This is a typical jig issue - yes it's ingenious, well made probably, could have brass knobs even, not cheap, but actually makes a simple job more difficult. Hmm, which other jigs spring to mind - typically; brilliant 'solutions' to things which were never a problem? :lol:

Ah yes Mr Grimedale spoiling the party :roll:

I suspect there are some workers out there that actually get their kicks from inventing/improving/making jigs - strength to their arm I say :D

It would be interesting to know when a jig becomes a tool or a tool becomes a jig :?

For example - if you make a parallel fence to attach to your router - is it a jig :? is it a tool :?

However, thanks for the insight - a kerf piece and a sample of the workpiece - simple enuff :D

OOOOps sorry - Freudian slip - that should be Grimsdale :shock: :shock:
Dave

Back