What a difference a wheel makes...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam9453

Established Member
Reaction score
well after manhandling the new bigger planer thicknesser into the workshop I realised i'd put it right where I needed to put a load of boards i'm about to receive #-o
I had ummed and arghed over whether to buy the wheel kit for it as I had thought i'll just put it into its position and it'll never need to move but obviously the first thing I needed to do was move it!!
luckily in my better judgement I had already ordered the wheel kit, expensive but very substantial and good thing it was too as the machine is definitely all of its stated 300kg in weight.
After a bit of physics related problem solving, I managed to get it raised up onto some chunks of 4x2 I had lying helpfully nearby.
got the wheels on and front bracket etc and all I can say is
WOW what a pleasure it is to move around now, very little effort and fantastically mobile now.
I must admit I spent a little while driving the machine around the workshop, purely to test it of course :lol:

I tried that with a big old planer once, made a box section frame with heavy duty castors. It took me ages to get it on the carriage. Then when I tried to move it, it just started digging a whole in the shed floor. I gave up and just kept it on bearers and used a pump truck. The planer did weigh about 700kg

Wheels on everything are great, particularly when your workshop is in your garage and you have cars to go in at night. I have wheels on my Bandsaw, my P/T and my sanding stand.

I manage with roller skates lol!

Alex

for wheels to work you need a fairly level floor, my barn has huge flint cobbles :(.

maybe one day put in a concrete floor to match the plinth on which the Holbrook stands

you're definitely right about needing a flat smooth floor, amazing how a little stone or chunk of wood can stop you dead in your tracks, makes for a not so pleasant body meeting machine situation!!

Back