Westminsters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesk63

Established Member
Reaction score
040.JPG
Hello again

On final straight now will be finished this weekend. Its been about 34days and quite a challenge but worth it i think.

Will be able to listen to then later today (Sat).

Regards

Lesk

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 1,277
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 1,277
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 1,277
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 1,277
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,277
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 1,277
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 1,277
  • 040.JPG
    040.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 1,279
Looks like a very worthwhile project. You've done a great job.

What speakers are you using in them?

Many thanks for comment. The Drive units are Tannoy HPD 385s. with separate cross overs.

Did a test today outside in the sun on my patio. What a sound....... they have to be damped yet and run in but boy beautiful image and depth.
Placed them 4mts apart and stood back about 8mts, brilliant.

Worth all hard work..

Lesk

I take it your into hi-fi. How does it compare with your existing speakers? And what's driving them?

You should posy a wip on avforums if you get the chance.

Hi There.

Yes i do like Hi fi but my son is the wis kid. I made these for him.

He may have to find a bigger house. Have you listened to this type of speaker cabinet? they run on low wattage say 20watts. Its the clarity is wonderful.

Regards

Lesk

I listened to some years ago - the sound was awesome.
My Lowther Acoustas (folded horn design) are powered by some EAR Yoshino valve amps which only produced 13 watts/channel but the sound is phenomenal.
The sound hits you in the face!

Rod

Harbo":2v2d0vcp said:
My Lowther Acoustas (folded horn design) are powered by some EAR Yoshino valve amps which only produced 13 watts/channel but the sound is phenomenal.

Rod

Hi Rod

Yes the sound is very good, my son is testing them at the moment. He tells me that they are a little bright but he can change the crossovers to lessen this.
Your Acoustas speakers are an interesting design could that be a possible build? Bet they sound really good.

Lesk

Yes I made them myself but never got round to the final veneering or finishing! :(
I kept upgrading the Lowther cones for a few years but as they mainly reside in the garage I gave up on that.
The ones I've got have never been played and they do improve with use?
Some people complain of a lack of bass ( not an issue with Westminsters) but I never thought that, with no crossovers or other speakers involved the sound is immediate - as I said, it seems to hit you?

Rod

Thats a shame you didn't finish them Rod. Hopefully you might find the time to do that.

I hope damp is not a problem in your garage (dont mean to be rude). Sounds like a different listening experience with the Acoustas. Still its just brilliant to just sit and listen to good quality sound (although its all in your head) Lol.

Nice talking to you.

Lesk

This is prior to the Westminster build. My wife and i were looking for a console table for ages... so decided to build my own.
Also saw a guy demonstrate some inlay work, so tried the Oak leak.

Very pleasing to do.

Lesk

I'm sure others have done the inlay a lot better but this is my first attempt.

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 866
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 866
Just a re-post of Oak Leak. Hope its better online!!!

Lesk

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 790
Lesk63":17rw7v3y said:
Harbo":17rw7v3y said:

Rod

Hi Rod

Yes the sound is very good, my son is testing them at the moment. He tells me that they are a little bright but he can change the crossovers to lessen this.
Your Acoustas speakers are an interesting design could that be a possible build? Bet they sound really good.

Lesk

If you want plans for lowther acoustas, they are available on the lowther website!

http://www.lowtherloudspeakers.com/drawings.html

Brilliant, thank you Rod.

Will post if i start them. Looking at starting Tannoy Autograph maybe autumn or winter.

Regards

Lesk

Back