Well, we gotta an oak, walnut and a Yew.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Wohooo, finally got the keys to the new place (not moving in just yet, a small matter of knocking a wall out, and having the workshop built).... but the thing I didn't spot when we looked round was we've got a very very large oak (Holm i believe), a small walnut about 20 foot high or so, and a well established Yew tree. Given we like trees we are chuffed to bits, just can't believe we didn't really notice when we looked round.

Builder reckons three to four weeks to get around to do the base for the workshop - he's going to use the hardcore from knocking the wall out to form the base of the workshop. So, I can get cracking in a month or so. In the meantime, its a case of DIY & decortorating. The people who moved it out left it in an absolutely shocking state, looks like they ran out of time to pack everything, so just left all the stuff behind. Got the solicitors on the case though. :twisted:

Adam-sitting-at-work-with-splatters-of-paint-on-his-arms......

Don't worry mate, it's easy to miss a mature oak and a 20ft walnut - when one reaches a 'certain age' that is :lol: :wink:

Tony":2lvze3zv said:
Don't worry mate, it's easy to miss a mature oak and a 20ft walnut - when one reaches a 'certain age' that is :lol: :wink:

Well ok, what I meant was the vendor assured us the large oak wasn't ours - as the boundary fell "just before it", wheras once I cleared the brambles, I found the old wire fence which is just behind it, so it is ours. Grr, I don't mind but again, its a solicitor thing - needs a few branches chopping off....and walnut, well, I wasn't really paying attention to it. It doesn't even reach the first branch on the oak tree, which is a rather tall specimen!!!

Oy ALF, planking them? Tut tut.....

Adm

Hi Adam,
Don't chop the walnut, I'm sure you know that they take 15 years to start fruiting & at 20 foot I would guess you'll be having a few in a year or two. We have three but two are very old & don't produce much, the other is about 40 foot and produces a good crop each year.

Losos":25ytz8di said:
Hi Adam,
Don't chop the walnut, I'm sure you know that they take 15 years to start fruiting & at 20 foot I would guess you'll be having a few in a year or two. We have three but two are very old & don't produce much, the other is about 40 foot and produces a good crop each year.

This one is covered in fruit. A truly lovely tree. Especially when you scrunch up a leap - the aroma is great. I hear some people try the leaves and add them to the fire, to give a wonderful aroma inside the house.

Adam

Paul Chapman":3g2yrgff said:
Losos":3g2yrgff said:
I would guess you'll be having a few in a year or two.

Not if the squirrels get 'em first :cry:

Paul

Bang....bang...finally two squirrels (the ones that were always nicking our walnuts and hazelnuts) exit stage left :twisted:

Losos, our's fruited in 10 years so guess we're lucky? Don't you need two to pollinate?

Adam

Hope it all goes according to plan! One minor point...be careful with Building Control as my builder told me that these days they insist on 'clean' hardcore (ie brand new stuff and not stuff left over from knocking down things onsite) Plain dumb if you ask me.

Don;t know how far away it is from your house but if it's not attached consider laying down pipes (and pull throughs) for your electric and/or water pipe and soil pipe .....hidden beneath a cap at either end...so's you can go ahead and connect it when BC's gone away :wink:

Roger Sinden":3mev1rks said:
Paul Chapman":3mev1rks said:
Losos":3mev1rks said:
I would guess you'll be having a few in a year or two.

Not if the squirrels get 'em first :cry:

Paul

Bang....bang...finally two squirrels (the ones that were always nicking our walnuts and hazelnuts) exit stage left :twisted:

Seems a shame to do that, Roger :cry: Although ours nick all our walnuts, they provide so much entertainment with their acrobatic skills, I happily go without the nuts :wink:

Paul

Not when they then go on to dig up and destroy (not eat...destroy) £200 of bulbs planted by the missus.

Out in the countryside they fall in the same categories as other vermin...rats, rabbits, pigeons, ramblers :wink:

Adam,

New house, workshop on the way & the early stages of an arboretum :lol:

The fact that you did not notice them on earlier visits could make me think that you have bought several acres. Room for the bees as well?

I learnt the hard way how difficult it is to remove natural walnut stain from human skin - took about a week IIRC.

Andy

dedee":1hej3cbc said:
Room for the bees as well?
Andy

Err yes, although I like the out-apiary I'm using currently, and makes it simple - no neigbour/small child issues to worry about.

It's an ideal backup site though, for when I need it.

As to not noticing - when you are buying a house, we just did a "yep, the garden is big enough - but needs some work" - its more the 6 foot high brambles that stopped me venturing down to determine our exact boundaries that a particularly large garden!

Adam

Sounds just the job!

I have a walnut tree in my garden and its full of fruit.

I can also sympathise with you when you mentioned the mess you were left. We moved in here about 7 weeks ago now. Our first problem was getting the owner to leave. The most difficult, rude and pathetic man I have ever met. They finally left (after a personal visit from me as a last resort) but left the place in a mess with stuff everywhere.

Glad hear you are sorted. Good luck!

Hi Roger, the 15 years thing came from one of our gardening books, like most things in life I guess there's always variations (Climate, soil etc) Don't know about the pollinating thing all the farmers round here have one or two trees so pollination is no prob.

Adam, I just remembered that when pruning bigger branches, Walnut trees bleed profusely especially in Summer / Autumn. I had to take out a low branch last summer & it was weeks before it healed.

Losos":sntq91j4 said:
I just remembered that when pruning bigger branches, Walnut trees bleed profusely especially in Summer / Autumn. I had to take out a low branch last summer & it was weeks before it healed.

Hi Losos,

Do you know when is the best time to prune walnut trees? The two I have are getting rather big and need cutting back. I know from pruning one or two branches in the past that if you do it at the wrong time of year, it's a bit like someone just turned on the tap :shock:

I've looked around on the net but there seems to be rather conflicting advice and I've not found a definitive piece :?

Grateful for any advice you or anyone else can offer :wink:

Paul

Back