Well, it finally happened

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
For the past few years the hardest thing I have tried is woodwork, I have put so much effort into it and failed at every turn, hence the reason I am taking up wood turning. As the results of my woodwork efforts were rapidly reaching the stage where even fire would reject I thought I had reached the pinnacle of tough or hard things to do, Until today that is. Today I attempted to do the hardest thing known to man, I tried to wrap up a Christmas present for Mrs G neatly. I swear it came so close to her not having a present this year. 3 presents I had to wrap and got through 3 rolls of paper, I wouldn't mind if the presents were big, they are not. Next year she will be getting shopping vouchers unless I forget about this year then it will be repeated no doubt. :mad::mad::mad:

These are mine
DE64B19E-CED9-4B79-BD5D-084C6F555BB0.jpeg

Arrrggghhhhhh

Mine do not even come close to those.
Yours do look good though :)

Arrrggghhhhhh

Mine do not even come close to those.
Yours do look good though :)

I unfortunately had an origami wrapping video pop up on YouTube. I saw it as a challenge. I actually did seven like this but the others have headed off to the recipients who can no longer visit.

You know what wives say though - it’s the thought that counts, well until it turns out to be the wrong colour, size, shape, brand, age or

For the past few years the hardest thing I have tried is woodwork, I have put so much effort into it and failed at every turn, hence the reason I am taking up wood turning. As the results of my woodwork efforts were rapidly reaching the stage where even fire would reject I thought I had reached the pinnacle of tough or hard things to do, Until today that is. Today I attempted to do the hardest thing known to man, I tried to wrap up a Christmas present for Mrs G neatly.
I used to have the same issues with wood, tried & tried but found metal more freindly until the time I stopped the metalwork and gave woodworking everything and I am now ontop of it, but handling paper & wrapping is in the same league as laying Lino or carpet and just so frustrating. Best method is to wrap everything as if it was a christmas cracker, no neat folds needed.

I ought to apologise - my first post didn't really help. For next year, buy some fancy gift bags and some ribbon. Staple the bag shut, make the ribbon curly, and you have a fancy-pants prezzie. Probably a bit late for Amazon today, but you never know...

We don't do presents (except for children) so that makes life much easier.

I'm not too bad at wrapping, I just hate doing it! lol

Last edited:

Same as us.

We buy for the kids, they buy for us. These days usually a day out at somewhere like Hampton Court or RHS Wisley.
We're at an age where we have most things we want and it's not that easy buying presents for the kids, especially our son.

Nigel.

We have for year not done the prezzy thing...

The first time I gave her her's and she said she'd given away mine.....no probs.....I always found Xmas hard.....
after a while she asked if I want to know where my prezzy went.....yeah OK.....
turns out the money she would have spent went to the Souda Bay animal sactuary here in Crete.....
so it been like that for years.....
she can always buy me another Indian m/cycle T shirt anytime.....

all the best.....Oh, tomorrow it'll be sunny and 18-19 degrees....

I'm not too bad at wrapping, I just hate doing it! lol

Same here. As my mum says "when people want something these days they just go and buy it anyway, so where's the excitement at Xmas?"

Thanks for that info Clogs, it was snowing here today though it hasn't lasted. Brrrrr...

We're similar to others and haven't bought for each other for years, I get the wrapping task for the kids and grandchild but have it down to a fine art now and don't mind. If an obvious shape and not too big I put it into a box sometimes self made first to disguise and make it simpler to wrap, I have been known to put a small present in multiple boxes, loads of packing and very securely taped which used to drive the kids nuts. :LOL: When my daughter was young one of her presents was a box of 24 artist pencils, I wrapped the tin empty and every pencil separately in various shaped boxes, I'm more concerned about the environment these days.

Last edited:
I unfortunately had an origami wrapping video pop up on YouTube. I saw it as a challenge. I actually did seven like this but the others have headed off to the recipients who can no longer visit.

You know what wives say though - it’s the thought that counts, well until it turns out to be the wrong colour, size, shape, brand, age or

or "not a car" as one of the presents in that video is wrapped up as :)

I always prided myself on my wrapping, but seems I've been doing it wrong my entire life !

I was lucky enough in my teens to get a Christmas job at Harrods wrapping presents, stood me in good stead every since, my OH always says its a shame to open them, but have to agree the bags from Amazon are better for your sanity.

Back