Wedge angle?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frank,

Thanks. Yes the blade is a disk - in fact a spare cutting wheel from a Titemark marking gauge. I have notions of eventually fixing a brass end to the stem which will allow interchangebilty between various blades and maybe a pencil but I needed to use the thing and so I just used what I had to hand.

Phil - that is indeed the 10 minute shooting board. Actually, I lied as it took longer - I waxed the runway for the plane and let it dry for a few minutes before buffing it off! :D

Irecently made a marking gauge with a diagonal pin. I think I sloped the wedge about 2mm across the width of the stock, seems to hold very well with just a light push of the thumb and a tap on the bench to release. I'm thinking about making a panel gauge so will be interested to see how your one pans out
Edit: didn't see the final gauge, very nice, need to make one now :lol: - Rob

p26.jpg

Rob,

Does the diagonal pin prevent you from you using the gauge in both directions (push/pull)? It almost looks as if your gauge has two wedges - I am intrigued by the curved piece on top of the stem - is it a pressure pad perhaps?

Chris - I saw a couple of old gauges with a 'saddle' in Penny Farthing Tools a while ago and decided to make something similar. This one uses the pin on the diagonal, so it can be pushed or pulled across the work. Mr C likes this sort of approach with his modified gauges that he does for his students. The pin is in fact a piece of hardened masonry nail suitably shaped and polished on the Tormek into a cutting blade, the pin sticks out past the corner of the stem maybe 1mm. The saddle is interesting as it transfers far more of the pressure from the underside of the pin to the top of the stem (thinking about the areas involved) I've come round to using these sort of gauges now as settings can be kept for each job on different gauges, something which is tricky to do with a Titemark unless you want to spent hundreds on several gauges. These sort of gauges do work very well 'specially when modied and you can afford to have lots of them, I've now got 5 at the 'mo, about £350 in Titemark money - Rob

p1-5.jpg

p2-4.jpg

Rob,
Thanks for the info. Nice idea to have gauges already set for repetitive work - as long as you can remember which one is for what :wink:

If I make another, I shall try the saddle idea.

Alf, Thanks.

Inspired by Chris's panel gauge I've had a go at making one myself today, this one in wenge and ebony with a big masonry nail wot Mr C likes for the cutter, LN block for comparison:

p1-6.jpg

I know what your thinking... :-k ...how did Woodbloke get a 6mm tapered mortice through 150mm of rock hard wenge?

S'easy really, if you do it like this:

p2-5.jpg

Trick is to laminate it from 3 bits, like Philly's plane. Make a full size plan to work out the taper and then make the wedge, which is included in the glue up. Had to make sure there was plenty of wax on the wedge to act as a 'resist' but it came out without any problem once the glue had set. Gauge then made in the normal way. Cunning eh? - Rob

Well, the one I made yesterday turned out to be rubbish, the mortice was too sloppy on the stem and the stock was a little too narrow...it only had a wedge about 6mm wide, so the stock went thru' the bandsaw last night and I took a bit more time and made this one. Laminated construction, stock in maple, stem in the original ebony and the wedge (now 11mm wide) in a bit of rosewood that happened to be about the right size. Finished with a few coats of shellac and some wax. There's only a fractional play on the fit and it locks solid with a gentle push of the thumb - Rob

p-2.jpg

woodbloke":3tzy49ql said:
Inspired by Chris's panel gauge I've had a go at making one myself today, this one in wenge and ebony with a big masonry nail wot Mr C likes for the cutter, LN block for comparison:
I know what your thinking... :-k ...how did Woodbloke get a 6mm tapered mortice through 150mm of rock hard wenge?

S'easy really, if you do it like this:

p2-5.jpg

That's probably the only sane way to make it, but IMHO the design has a problem - you can't make the handle/fence in the nice shapes that old ones have.

http://galootcentral.com/portal/compone ... _gauge.JPG

BugBear

BB - if that's a 'nice shape' :-k :sick: I think I prefer my more up to date variation on the theme :lol: - Rob

BB,
I actually like the design your link shows, looks quite comfy for using whilst marking the long panels, for me it would seem a better handgrip overall...due to the lengths that these guages usually mark.
I have one with a similar grip and its quite thick which allows the wrist to rest on it which i presumed was where the operator placed pressure to keep it tight to the face if marking from a stretched arm, but its a home made affair and probobly designed to suit the original user.

Chris, Rob.....very nice BTW .....putting my little digital angle measure on mine the wedge angle was 6.2 degrees....bit late though and i've loads of reading and catching up to do.

I

woodbloke":1icujxu4 said:
BB - if that's a 'nice shape' :-k :sick: I think I prefer my more up to date variation on the theme :lol: - Rob

It gives a grip - four fingers on the outside, thumb on this inside, "web" (between thumb and fore finger) goes in the rounded hollow.

A bit like the grip when shooting using a Record #T5.

BugBear

Hi Chris,
had a few personal issues and new working conditions so havent been around the net for what seems like ages.

just been making loads of bits for planes but no planes as yet just filling shelfs with parts....making loads of scrap amongst the good stuff :lol: still learning to machine too finer tolerances and get good consistancy especially in knurling (which i now have) after loads of scrap

took me 6 months to learn how to set up correctly to skim a sole to sides properly, i used to think it was a doddle...hats off to KH...not easy.

Philly has a few bits and pieces too...... still wondering if he managed to make a similar kit or if he abandoned ship :)

did make a few nice marking guages...sent some out but didnt picture any....DC has the prototype and was quite complimentary, he might manage to post a picture.

I

Latest posts

Back