Web Site Problems.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisR

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain please, in simple terms if possible, as I do not have any computer knowledge. :?

When using this site, almost every time, after viewing approx four to five posts or if I try to post a reply, I get a full screen message (This page can’t be displayed). I then have to go and view other sites for ten to fifteen minutes, before returning. I do get this on some other sites but only very occasionally.

Please note I am not in any way suggesting that there in any problem with this site, my thoughts are, that it is something to do with this none user friendly Windows 8.1, I use. :evil:

As it never occurred when I was using Windows XP.

Many thanks.

Chris R.

Don't know exactly why this would happen but sounds like a caching or cookie type problem. It is most likely a browser issue rather than anything to do with the operating system. You don't say what browser you are using but try clearing your cache as a first step. Try another browser too and see if that fixes the problem. Nobody will be able to give an accurate diagnosis without more info and even then they may be guessing.

to the OP is your internet connection rock solid ? If you disconnet from the internet do you see the same error message ?

ChrisR":2fb7w744 said:
Can anyone explain please, in simple terms if possible, as I do not have any computer knowledge. :?

When using this site, almost every time, after viewing approx four to five posts or if I try to post a reply, I get a full screen message (This page can’t be displayed). I then have to go and view other sites for ten to fifteen minutes, before returning. I do get this on some other sites but only very occasionally.

Please note I am not in any way suggesting that there in any problem with this site, my thoughts are, that it is something to do with this none user friendly Windows 8.1, I use. :evil:

As it never occurred when I was using Windows XP.

Many thanks.

Chris R.

We need to know:-

What browser are you using.
How do you view consecutive pages, are you using the Browser Back button when you get the message.

It could just be a simple case of setting the page refresh options in your browser to suit the way you work.

Sorry to say Chris, windows 8.1 is just a tool, like any other tool if you don't tune it to your needs or understand the variations available then it will never be a pleasure to use.

Are you struggling with using it in App mode or do you use in in Desktop mode (xp/win7 look alike)

ChrisR":62hdaxvf said:

When using this site, almost every time, after viewing approx four to five posts or if I try to post a reply, I get a full screen message (This page can’t be displayed)

When you see that try hitting the F5 key, this will cause the browser to attempt to re-download the page, which may then succeed, or may not, worth a try

Many thanks to all, for taking the time to reply.

I will try and answer some of the questions if I can.

(1) Browser ?, I don’t know, my internet provider is Tesco net, so it will be the browser that they use/issue, Tesco have changed their internet partners from, Virgin to BT so I don’t know if the browser was changed at the same time. If I look at the connection details in the PC settings panel, it just gives the type of router (Thomson 70E378-Tesco Broadband).

(2) Clean my Cache, sorry but I don’t know what the Cache is.

(3) Windows 8.1 was loaded onto my lap top when purchased, it runs, as out of the box so to speak, not sure if is runs in App mode or Desktop. When the computer starts up the screen shows a number of options, HP connect, HP Support Assistant, HP Print and Scan Doctor, Leap Motion App Home, Steam and McAfee Total Protection to name just a few, I don’t use any of these. I just press the Windows button on the keyboard which opens a screen with a lot more options, I just click on the (e) symbol, to connect to the internet or the envelope symbol if I want the Email function. This is as it was set up for me by the HP assistant, it took him nearly an hour to set up plus the the Email function for which I paid a fee of £100.00 it was worth every penny, so I dare not twiddle, don’t want to pay another fee, which I suspect will be more, as the £100.00 was a concession rate, for newly purchased computers.

(4) The F5 button on my computer is to switch the key board back light on or off.

So I may have to just live with the (This page can’t be displayed) message if it involves any changing any settings.

Sorry to be a bit vague with information but my computer knowledge would be graded at -5 if a 1 to 10 scale was used.

When I started school back in 1947, we only had wooden framed slates and a chip of chalk, broken from a bigger lump. So you can see I am not of the computer generation.

Thanks again.

Chris R.

Age is no excuse! I'm 70 and a half.
You need to do a bit of routine computer maintenance - which may mean finding out how to do it yourself if you don't want to pay someone else. There are plenty of books along the lines of "You and your PC" etc. It's easy once you get going.
Or buy a Mac - everything much simpler and more reliable.

ChrisR":3ercfd4u said:
(1) Browser ?, I don’t know, my internet provider is Tesco net, so it will be the browser that they use/issue, Tesco have changed their internet partners from, Virgin to BT so I don’t know if the browser was changed at the same time. If I look at the connection details in the PC settings panel, it just gives the type of router (Thomson 70E378-Tesco Broadband).

The browser is not tied to your internet provider, You are most likely using Internet explorer. If you click the Help tab you will probably get something like this.
IE.jpg

(3) Windows 8.1 was loaded onto my lap top when purchased, it runs, as out of the box so to speak, not sure if is runs in App mode or Desktop. When the computer starts up the screen shows a number of options, HP connect, HP Support Assistant, HP Print and Scan Doctor, Leap Motion App Home, Steam and McAfee Total Protection to name just a few, I don’t use any of these. I just press the Windows button on the keyboard which opens a screen with a lot more options, .....

You would appear to be working in App mode. You would find Desktop Mode much easier and closer to your old XP to use.
dt.jpg

So I may have to just live with the (This page can’t be displayed) message if it involves any changing any settings.

I'm reluctant to try and pass on instructions remotely to clean up any caches or change the desktop settings after that statement or on how to go into Control Panel to manipulate the setup.

When I started school back in 1947,
A youngster then, you probably don't remember the Bombs dropping.

Attachments

• IE.jpg
    IE.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 987
  • dt.jpg
    dt.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 987
OK, sounds like you haven't twiddled around and broken something. I suspect your broadband has dropped out when you see the message, then re-established it's connection and the problem goes away. Usually we ask if you can try a different machine on the same network in an attempt to isolate the problem

Many thanks all for your information, but I was advised yesterday all be it third hand, that Tesco is going to end being an internet provider, which if true, I will have to get an engineer in to set me up with a new service provider/connection. So I can kill two or more birds with one stone and get him/her to have a look at any other problems that may need sorting.

CHJ. No I can’t remember bombs dropping (very few in Cornwall any way), but I do remember vividly being put into the one piece gas body suit for babies, just practice sessions, but I was terrified of the thing, even now if I see one, it sends shivers up my spine. :shock:

Take care & thanks all.

Chris R.

Jacob":81vo5ozs said:
Age is no excuse! I'm 70 and a half.
You need to do a bit of routine computer maintenance - which may mean finding out how to do it yourself if you don't want to pay someone else. There are plenty of books along the lines of "You and your PC" etc. It's easy once you get going.
Or buy a Mac - everything much simpler and more reliable.

I can drive a car, but I don’t need to know what’s going on under the bonnet.

Having said that I have just purchased a new car, apart from the normal driving controls, everything else is controlled via a touch screen, which means I have not worked out how to operate the heater/ac, radio, sat nav (which is not needed), reversing camera, trip computer, predictive speed/cruise control, despite almost licking the user manual pages clean, so I have tried. All toys for the younger generation. But not my generation

Take care.

Chris R.

Back