We will remember them..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Lest we forget...

poppysmall.jpg

i'm with you Steve.

thoughts with all lost especially from 90 SU and TCW that i worked with.

We didn't Steve. I have only just found this thread.

We joined the people of our village for the celebration and the aperatif afterwards. The village children put flowers on the memorial and one of them reads out the names of the "Children of France" from the village who have died fighting for France, up to the Algerian war. Very moving and such a good idea to involve the children.

I was invited to join the village Association du Ancient Combatants a few years ago because I am ex-R.A.F. The first Englishman to be invited and I feel quite proud of that!

One advantage is that they then go on to have a lunch at a local restaurant, just a quick one? Normally at least 4 course and enough wine to last to 5 'o' clock or so..

Yep.
I was at our Memorial, with two of my CG team (plus the Piper, the Colours, the local Legion, etc.), on Thursday.
I'll be there with my full team ( plus 2 pipe bands, a cadre of RAF cadets, the local Legion, the Brownies, Guides, Boys Brigade, Ambulance Service, Police, etc.etc.) tomorrow.

We will remember them.

Although i was born after the war i still feel like we should at least remember them, not too much to ask is it..

My Dad would never talk about the first World War.

He and 170+ of his of schoolmates signed up as privates. He was one of only two who came home from the Somme and the other bloody massacres. He would never talk about it and I only learnt this from my eldest bother much later.

We can remember but most of the survivors just wanted to forget the horror.

In remembrance of all those who survived such conflicts and to those that perished, remember the lesson that wars are made by politicians and leaders and fought by everyone else.

Richard

I knew nothing of my family until a couple of weeks ago, nothing other than Exeter and Walthamstow as locations. So it was a surprise to get a phone call a couple of weeks ago from a second cousin that I only met once 52 years ago. He (and his now deceased brother) had started researching the family history and as a result of their endeavours I can now trace my lineage back to 1753.

Part of the info he sent me was photos of the family including my Grandfather who was a motor driver with an artillery regiment. Fortunately he and his two brothers survived the Great War and it was amazing to see pictures of him, his brothers and his gun crew when he was only 18. He died when I was young and I'd never seen any photos.

Last week it was mentioned on the Moneysavingexpert web site that WW1 military records were being temporarily made freely available (I didn't know they existed). Anyway it turns out most of the records were destroyed by an air raid in 1940 but the surviving 'burnt records' had been microfiched. Searching found that of all my and my wife's family the only surviving record was for my grandfather and I have copies of over 30 documents about him including forms he completed and signed. Even more fascinating were 'chits' to his HQ in Woolwich informing them he had got married and then of the birth of my father.

I have worked alongside the military for most of my working life and been impressed with their professionalism and camaraderie but actually seeing what my Grandfather was involved with when only in his late teens has really impressed me and emphasised the amazing sacrifice made by my forebears.

Misterfish

Any chance of a link to that site Mr F? I have recently found out that my grandad was buried on the Somme and in Germany as a P.O.W.? I wonder if there may be more info on him?

I have never been really interested in tracing my family history as such, but my sister is and if I could give her some more gen it would obviously help her.

It is on http://www.ancestry.co.uk/ and then select Military Records. I think the free access time is over but you can search to see if they have any matching records. I think you can also sign up for a trial period for free and then access all the records. I hope you find some info.

Ive found it all to be fascinating and it has kindled an interest in my family history.

Misterfish

Back