• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Water based paint, airless sprayer and orange peel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Jake

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't have the battery Graco but do have a full on one, it is a brute I would not even think of spraying Helmi through. As you have a Fugi I'd try that. That finish in the photos could be bettered by a country mile with a microfibre roller and tipping off.

Proper flat needs sanding and polishing whatever you use.

Tobi1186

Reaction score
I´ve had the same problem a few years ago while spraying a door. That really sucks... I´ve thinned it, as some have already suggested. Still wasn´t perfect, but it was way better than before. Good luck to you!

cowtown_eric

Established Member
Reaction score
Welcome to spraying...it's more than a little bit like alchemy!

My experience is with airless spraying is that paint must be thinned. Moreover water based paints seem to have an abrasive characteristic. I only use a "fine-Finish " tip and they don't last forever. The orifice widens, and paint consumption goes up, so atomization goes down..

I also use the finest filter I can find in the handle, and try to keep it clean, but replace when it doesn't look like it's clean enuf.

Whenever I am flumoxed by paint finish problems, I just get a new tip, check the filter and clean if required. and the problem generally resolves

Eric