Watch your credit card statements, chaps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Egg card got done three times last week but Egg spotted each one and stopped them - Well done Egg!

They then blocked ME from looking at my previous transactions so i could not check them for what had gone through and which vendors would get bounced (including my car insurance renewal) - BAD EGG
Next day they sent me an email saying my monthly statement was ready (it was the due date). However I looked on line but I was denied access - BAD EGG

After a grumpy email from me, they said I could not see my historic transactions until I had been sent a new card AND I had received and authorised it - BAD EGG

Still waiting!

So I conclude that EGG are very good at protecting themselves against card fraud but do not give a flying F**K for their customers.

Bob

"It will never happen to me.", thinks I.

Well we just got an automated call from Nationwide which my wife answered.
It sounded odd so I told her to hang up, but I thought I better check with Nationwide, so I called them back and sure enough a test transaction for £1 had just been tried by my fax protus (I think).

Nearly top marks to Nationwide - they spotted the fraud perfectly, but the call from them sounded like it could be a fraud call, which is why I called them back.

Just had a call from Allaince & Leicester about 2 transactions one for £1 and another for £32.06 both have been stopped.

Seems there is a lot of it about, the only place I have used that card recently is Amazon.

john

jpt":189uu0xl said:
Just had a call from Allaince & Leicester about 2 transactions one for £1 and another for £32.06 both have been stopped.

Seems there is a lot of it about, the only place I have used that card recently is Amazon.

john

Interesting..Amazon, eh...same here.

cambournepete":142shr55 said:
Nearly top marks to Nationwide - they spotted the fraud perfectly, but the call from them sounded like it could be a fraud call, which is why I called them back.

I thought that too when Santander rang me, seemed very odd the way they 'verified' who I was.

'tis the season apparently. :ho2 RBS this time - same automated number called me to verify who I was. A couple of small amounts - one to apple then a larger one to an insurance company. Seems odd that so many of us have been done in the last few days - I wonder which company that we all use has had their security compromised? My card that has been cloned is only used for work purchases.

Steve

cambournepete":17up770l said:
"It will never happen to me.", thinks I.

Well we just got an automated call from Nationwide which my wife answered.
It sounded odd so I told her to hang up, but I thought I better check with Nationwide, so I called them back and sure enough a test transaction for £1 had just been tried by my fax protus (I think).

This exact same thing happened to me this evening.

I can't help wondering why the crims are using these cards details in such a way that the banks are finding it so easy to spot.

Presumably they don't have the expiry date and the 3 digits off the back otherwise the transaction would go through undetected.

Anyone got any theories?

Bob

9fingers":3c97lp2r said:
I can't help wondering why the crims are using these cards details in such a way that the banks are finding it so easy to spot. .

I agree with you. It does seem kind of strange. Maybe some of the criminals are a bit thick?

9fingers":3c97lp2r said:
Presumably they don't have the expiry date and the 3 digits off the back otherwise the transaction would go through undetected.

I think that they must have because I've not been on any ecommerce site that doesn't ask for this information. Any purchases made over the telephone have also always asked for this information. Which suggests 'leakage' from within the ecommerce community.

RogerS":36bd86if said:
Which suggests 'leakage' from within the ecommerce community.

I agree there Rog. At first I thought some scumbag at the company I'd purchased from had cloned my details but, it's too widespread to be so. Someone, by that I mean company, is leaking info. Not inspiring confidence here.

Nationwide said one thing that alerted them was the test run not using the "verified by visa" mechanism.
Both NW and VISA flagged it immediately - the call from them was within 10 minutes of the failed transaction.

Lenders sell "books" or Mortgages to each other on a regular basis. System data is extracted and transferred - but the original paperwork will have been destroyed - but not before being scanned and stored on digitally secure (i.e. tamperproof) image storage platforms. These images, including but not limited to

- Birth\Marriage Certs,
- Passports,
- Credit\Debit card fronts & backs (CVV digits never covered over)
- bank statements
- list goes on

all in high resolution.

Each document (i.e. image) would be extracted and dumped in a folder associated with an account number - all cut to DVD. It was quite common, having hand delivered these to the Buyer's firm - to receive a call asking "where is the media?", when it was handed into security and signed for. Each sale involved 10k's of accounts

Enough info to no doubt duplicate an identity - never mind get 100% correct answers to a person in a bank's call centre and have passwords reset.

Thankfully it wasn't HSBC who I bank with.

Dibs

Dibs-h":1nu8vsfj said:
Lenders sell "books" or Mortgages to each other on a regular basis. System data is extracted and transferred - but the original paperwork will have been destroyed - but not before being scanned and stored on digitally secure (i.e. tamperproof) image storage platforms. These images, including but not limited to

- Birth\Marriage Certs,
- Passports,
- bank statements
- list goes on

all in high resolution.

Each document (i.e. image) would be extracted and dumped in a folder associated with an account number - all cut to DVD. It was quite common, having hand delivered these to the Buyer's firm - to receive a call asking "where is the media?", when it was handed into security and signed for. Each sale involved 10k's of accounts

Enough info to no doubt duplicate an identity - never mind get 100% correct answers to a person in a bank's call centre and have passwords reset.

Dibs

Just one thought.....what happened to the Data Protection Act ? Surely if you opt out then any company doing what you suggest is breaking the law?

I've had my card details compromised twice in two weeks recently. One time I'm pretty sure it was a dodgy website. And the other was my local ATM, it made a dodgy noise and chucked my card back out and gave me a strange message, didn't think anything of it as I was in a proper rush. Stupid I know. But LloydsTSB contacted me later that day to say someone had tried to use it down south (I'm in the peak district) so they stopped the card and gave all my money back.
I think I might have had a keylogger virus on my laptop for the first instance. Gone now.

My mate is in the e-commerce business, sells big volumes of outdoor gear online, and they get so many fraudulent transactions you wouldn't believe. But the police won't investigate fraud unless it's over £10,000! WTF! There's a guy that's tried to use loads of different cards on their website (and got away with it for quite a while) and he rents a sort of PO box and gets thousands of pounds of stock every week. My mate rang the PO Box Company and they said that they couldn't do anything about it. What a crock of s**t!

Madness. _Dan.

goldeneyedmonkey":2mkwvadp said:
I.....
My mate is in the e-commerce business, sells big volumes of outdoor gear online, and they get so many fraudulent transactions you wouldn't believe. But the police won't investigate fraud unless it's over £10,000! WTF! There's a guy that's tried to use loads of different cards on their website (and got away with it for quite a while) and he rents a sort of PO box and gets thousands of pounds of stock every week. My mate rang the PO Box Company and they said that they couldn't do anything about it. What a crock of s**t!

Madness. _Dan.

Ummm....don't ship to PO boxes? A lot of ecommerce companies don't.

RogerS":obq9shre said:
Dibs-h":obq9shre said:

- Birth\Marriage Certs,
- Passports,
- bank statements
- list goes on

all in high resolution.

Dibs

Just one thought.....what happened to the Data Protection Act ? Surely if you opt out then any company doing what you suggest is breaking the law?

Roger

Check the terms and conditions of your mortgage if you are unlucky to still have one - the lender is perfectly entitled to sell your mortgage on. Your signature accepting the T&C's gives them that right.

As for the stuff going missing - only an issue if it comes to "light". :wink:

Dibs

p.s. The DPA - I've seen newborns with more teeth!

Ah...missed out the "selling on" bit. Fully understand.

There was an interesting story in the FT Weekend about a guy in the US who's business was struggling in the recession. So he spoke to his bank to try and reschedule his mortgage payments and was told to simply stop paying and then when they finally started chasing him, then to renegotiate. So he did this. With the money he stopped paying, he was able to make fewer staff redundant and also pay some salaries. Then he got a letter from a different bank, Yup, his mortgage had been sold on and the new bank didn't want to play ball. So he went through the motions in trying to prevent foreclosure..still not paying any mortgage.....only part way through these proceedings he got a letter from another bank. Yup..his mortgage had been sold on yet again. Finally got to the point where the latest bank was threatening repossession etc and his lawyer said to the bank 'Show me the deeds'. They couldn't. Without the deeds, no further action was possible. So two years on, this guy is still not paying any mortgage and has now opened up a second business!

RogerS":2xwvp9ze said:
Ah...missed out the "selling on" bit. Fully understand.

There was an interesting story in the FT Weekend about a guy in the US who's business was struggling in the recession. So he spoke to his bank to try and reschedule his mortgage payments and was told to simply stop paying and then when they finally started chasing him, then to renegotiate. So he did this. With the money he stopped paying, he was able to make fewer staff redundant and also pay some salaries. Then he got a letter from a different bank, Yup, his mortgage had been sold on and the new bank didn't want to play ball. So he went through the motions in trying to prevent foreclosure..still not paying any mortgage.....only part way through these proceedings he got a letter from another bank. Yup..his mortgage had been sold on yet again. Finally got to the point where the latest bank was threatening repossession etc and his lawyer said to the bank 'Show me the deeds'. They couldn't. Without the deeds, no further action was possible. So two years on, this guy is still not paying any mortgage and has now opened up a second business!

I wish it worked here - but with most titles being registered (I did say most), it's all done electronically at HM Land Registry. Bundles of paperwork aren't held in safes much anymore.

Back