Watch your credit card statements, chaps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerS":zd7dhrg5 said:
goldeneyedmonkey":zd7dhrg5 said:
I.....
My mate is in the e-commerce business, sells big volumes of outdoor gear online, and they get so many fraudulent transactions you wouldn't believe. But the police won't investigate fraud unless it's over £10,000! WTF! There's a guy that's tried to use loads of different cards on their website (and got away with it for quite a while) and he rents a sort of PO box and gets thousands of pounds of stock every week. My mate rang the PO Box Company and they said that they couldn't do anything about it. What a crock of s**t!

Madness. _Dan.

Ummm....don't ship to PO boxes? A lot of ecommerce companies don't.

I don't think they do anymore, the fraudster managed to get about £700 of stock from them before they noticed. Not much considering how much the company makes overall. But still, it takes the water. I don't think it's technically a P.O box either, it's just the closest term I could come up with.

_Dan.

Happened to me yesterday, a call from the Cahoots fraud office, they stopped 3 transactions to an online chemists and O2 (good job I'm with Orange). The guy told me that fraud had gone up with Cahoots since they stopped their webcard, a big mistake me thinks, but their management does seem to think so.

Every time I (rarely) top up my phone, my CC company phone me to check the transaction usually within minutes. Apparently they experience a very high level of petty fraud on PAYG top ups.
It is good to know that they are on the ball but as I said earlier in the thread, they are protecting themselves not their customers.
I still have no replacement cards or communication from Egg since the initial blocking. If it were not for a pretty good cashback deal I have, I'd be be considering dumping Egg.

Bob

I found when it came to resolving problems Egg were the pits. They really don't care about their customers one iota. When they inflated their interest rate from 15.9 to 26+ it was the last straw. Glad to be shot of them.

Just checked my Smile credit card statement this morning which is only rarely used as an emergency backup and there was a £30 entry for O2 PAYG.

As I don't have an O2 PAYG phone and the fact the card hasn't been used for a couple of months it was easy to pick up. I reported it on line but as there was no confirmation I then called their fraud phone and was told that they get a large number of O2 PAYG fraud transactions. They think it is because it is a very common phone top up that many are likely to actually use that a 'small' amount of 'only' £30 would be lost amongst legit transactions.

So now I have to wait for 7 working days for a new card to be issued.

Misterfish

I wonder how many of these cards are unsupported by the extra layer of security (Securecode for example) that both Visa and Mastercard offer?

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I looked at how you top-up on the O2 website. Three stage process. First stage is mobile number (presumably nicked) and card details. As I don't have an O2 phone, I couldn't go any further to see whether the three digit security number was asked for or not.

But the next stage suggests that they ask for the card billing address. Just wondering whether O2 bother to verify this information and if not, why not. I do know that many companies don't bother to verify this online.

My card was a visa debit card, and 9 times out of ten requires letters from password to be used when buying online.
Si

Had a call from Visa just now, couple of odd transactions came up today including a £1200 flight somewhere exotic, checked with swmbo but she hadn't got any surprise trips planned !

So now cardless for at least 5 working days, except for the debit card. Must be the third time in the last couple of years, a real pain :evil:

Cheers, Paul :deer

It's a pita being cardless. Last time it happened to me I resolved to always keep one card unused in the safe just incase. I now always have access to a card regardless of what happens - same with SWMBO.
Last year she had her purse lifted in London. Phoned the auto cancellation stuff we have and bingo every card was cancelled inside of 5 minutes - simple. Unfortunately it also cancelled all my cards as well (because they were on joint accounts) - without the standby card in the safe we'd have been screwed and she'd have been stuck in London with no way of getting access to cash.

Mmm...just got the replacement Amazon card and see that it is one of those newfangled guaranteed-to-be-ripped off, insecure, RFID wireless contactless chip-enabled ones. Now where's my scissors ?

Damn me! It's happened again. This time on a different card...over a grands worth of travel. A card that I only use for very occasional internet shopping..which means that one of the companies that I used the card with got hacked. Wish I knew which one.

RogerS":2v4k3xus said:
Damn me! It's happened again. This time on a different card...over a grands worth of travel. A card that I only use for very occasional internet shopping..which means that one of the companies that I used the card with got hacked. Wish I knew which one.

They are obviously selected affluent types like you Roger who they presume the odd grand or two would slip through unnoticed ! :lol:

Out of interest did the card company catch it or did you spot it first?
I cannot quite understand how the CC co can spot these apparently so easily compared to 'normal' transactions.
If this is happening via dodgy vendors then they would have the card no, expiry and 3 check digits off the back so surely the transaction would go through? My card was done before Christmas and they spotted all three fraudulent transactions and phoned me - but would not discuss how they spotted it on 'security grounds'

Bob

Bob

The card company spotted it and had tried to call me on an old telephone number. They then sent me a letter which arrived today. The transaction was clearly allowed...quite why beggars belief as again it is so far out of my normal spending value, type of transaction etc. Bit surprised that one can buy travel tickets or a holiday from a travel company and pay for it with a different name. But, since I've never tried doing it, presumably it can be done. If it was a holiday then if they were a bit fleet of foot then they could easily get the person nicked but I doubt anyone will bother. Personally I'd have no qualms wedging the hand of the scrote in my bench vise and then doing a bit of carving. We have the woods behind and so the body wouldn't be found for years.

The girl at the card company said that internet companies stored all the card details on a transaction which included everything needed to make the payment and so if they got hacked etc etc. I'm too long out of the IT game to know if this makes sense or not. Certainly there are some transactions (renewable services etc) that would need to do that in order to work.

Roger

RogerS":1y85mt2k said:
Bob

The card company spotted it and had tried to call me on an old telephone number. They then sent me a letter which arrived today. The transaction was clearly allowed...quite why beggars belief as again it is so far out of my normal spending value, type of transaction etc. Bit surprised that one can buy travel tickets or a holiday from a travel company and pay for it with a different name. But, since I've never tried doing it, presumably it can be done. If it was a holiday then if they were a bit fleet of foot then they could easily get the person nicked but I doubt anyone will bother. Personally I'd have no qualms wedging the hand of the scrote in my bench vise and then doing a bit of carving. We have the woods behind and so the body wouldn't be found for years.

The girl at the card company said that internet companies stored all the card details on a transaction which included everything needed to make the payment and so if they got hacked etc etc. I'm too long out of the IT game to know if this makes sense or not. Certainly there are some transactions (renewable services etc) that would need to do that in order to work.

Roger

I'm not 100% sure - but from my days in the Finance sector (well we all have a cross to bear, what can I say :oops: ) for CNP (cardholder not present) transactions unless done thru 'Verified by Visa' or 'MasterCard SecureCode' the merchant bears the risk of fraudulent transactions - not Visa\Mastercard (or the Card Issuer). It's of no relevance if the 3 digit CVV nbr matched or if address matching was used, etc..

Dibs

The transactions on my card were all stopped at the point of sale it seems as nothing got onto my statement.
I just can't imagine a crim pitching up with an incomplete set of data (CC number, date and CVV number) and expecting it to go through or if he had got all the right numbers why it did not go through?

Mystified (but grateful) of Romsey

Bob

I've just been done, 7 fraudulent transactions, 5 for £1 or thereabouts, 1 for £180 and 1 for £300.

The worrying thing for me is that one of the large payments was to Paypal. I checked my Paypal account, and nothing had come out. Spoke to Paypal customer services, and a "ghost" account had been set up using my card details but with a slightly different address!!

All sorted now, but verified by visa obviously doesn't need to be verified!!

Back to cash I reckon :wink:

Malc :)

If you are devious, you can disable the radio part of these new cards. As it stands I won't willinlg accept one of these cards but when they all are like this ....

Bob

A couple of years ago my credit card account showed fraudulent transactions. It was only an emergency card and hadn't been used for a year or two, but still someone got the details. Some sports equipment , a couple of flights and £500 pounds spent at Tiffanys. The bank were good and the bill was cancelled. But just to rub salt in, I now get a Tiffanys catalogue every six months.
I didn't lose any money, but the bank or retailers did.

Latest posts

Back