Watch your credit card statements, chaps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
....and go online regularly if you can to check interim transactions.

Just happened to log into my Amazon card (which I only use for buying stuff from Amazon) to find three transactions totalling nearly £500 charged fraudulently to my card.

EDIT: It's interesting to see how the anti-fraud procedures work at the backend between the various companies.

At the top in terms of anti-fraud trips being triggered (meaning a call from the company to verify the transaction) are NatWest and John Lewis.

At the bottom would appear to be Bank of America who backend the Amazon card.

Why? Typical transaction - Amazon £6.29 (October) Amazon £12.67 (Aug) ..nothing in November or September. The pattern is similar throughout the rest of the year.

Then suddenly £144 to a completely different company on 9th

Another £156 to another company on the 10th

Another £150 to a third company yesterday.

Did BoA's anti-fraud system sound an alert ? Ummm..now let me see....nope.

I have had my credit card done in the past and its not funny. I was lucky and got all my cash back without too much hassle.

I wonder if your card being hacked/used is anything to do with these Wikileaks supporters who apparently hacked into Amazon?

Hope all works out for you Roger.

Regards

Mark

I had my card done on Tuesday this week. LLoyds TSB contacted me within 10mins ! Some one had used my card number to get £15 credit from O2 phones twice within the space of an hour. Their systems recognised that I`ve never used O2 and stopped the transaction. Great service but my card had to be cancelled right away so no access to funds for me until an new card arrives in two or three days time.
Problem was that I was going to Finnish of my Christmas shopping on Wednesday, It`s amazing how much a little piece of plastic controls our life. So Wednesday morning I get myself to my local bank expecting to have to fight tooth and nail to get money from my account in cash but absolutely no problem whatsoever, the bank manager couldn't have been more helpful and I left a happy bunny with cash in my pocket.
A good story about bankers for a change, but I expect that the people I dealt with were very low on the food chain in terms of bonuses.

Dex

dexter":32mq4o7i said:
I had my card done on Tuesday this week. LLoyds TSB contacted me within 10mins ! ....

Dex

It is such a pain. Luckily I have other cards so no worries there. Thumbs up to Lloyds systems for picking that up as well.

Bank of America ? YOU SUCK!

dexter":3nntqyzo said:
I had my card done on Tuesday this week. LLoyds TSB contacted me within 10mins ! Some one had used my card number to get £15 credit from O2 phones twice within the space of an hour. Their systems recognised that I`ve never used O2 and stopped the transaction. Great service but my card had to be cancelled right away so no access to funds for me until an new card arrives in two or three days time.
Problem was that I was going to Finnish of my Christmas shopping on Wednesday, It`s amazing how much a little piece of plastic controls our life. So Wednesday morning I get myself to my local bank expecting to have to fight tooth and nail to get money from my account in cash but absolutely no problem whatsoever, the bank manager couldn't have been more helpful and I left a happy bunny with cash in my pocket.
A good story about bankers for a change, but I expect that the people I dealt with were very low on the food chain in terms of bonuses.

Dex
Also had my card done on tuesday , had a call from hsbc fraud protection saying someone was trying to make a transaction for £1 they spotted it.
Well happy nothing else was done, only thing is no c/card for xmas shopping, her in doors not impressed.

Had my Natwest debit card done this week too. Three smallish transactions to an online chemist, O2 and cellnet. Natwest picked it up straight away. Bit of a b*gger being without a card for a few days, but there you go.
Strange that all these seem to have happened in the same day... Particularly on one only used for amazon. Amazon had my card details too...
Si

They try a couple of small amounts first with companies that are used by millions of people every day, if the card isn't blocked they go for the big hits. Fortunately for me I`ve never used O2.

Dex

where have we arrived, when you have the fear from your bank.

havn't been beholden to a bank for a while now. have a card for emergency, but use cash or cheque.

i was speaking to a friend of mine the other day, he owns a shop. said he always used to get robbed by dud cheques. when we finally sat down to do the sums, his commission charges to the bank for using the "everso safe" cards was five times what he ever lost on cheques. #-o

he puts his prices up to cover the costs.....who pays?

there's progress!

jeff

Apart from the suggestion by Roger to constantly monitor the transactions, it makes a great deal of sense to have more than one credit card in case this happens.
Could be that one is used purely for on line transactions for instance. I use one of mine for fuel only

I have two and I don't carry them together in case I ever lost my wallet. You have to be discipined enough of course not to run up debts that can't be covered. :roll:

I've got both of mine on auto direct debit so I can't ever forget to pay off in full - interest rates are unreal! :shock:

Bob

jeffinfrance":3mxslqjw said:
i was speaking to a friend of mine the other day, he owns a shop. said he always used to get robbed by dud cheques. when we finally sat down to do the sums, his commission charges to the bank for using the "everso safe" cards was five times what he ever lost on cheques. #-o

jeff

Interesting observation, Jeff. There was a radio programme recently on how businesses got back on their feet after some of the bad floods we've been having. The one comment that stood out was made by one guy who had been flooded badly several years ago. He found that dealing with the insurance company was a nightmare and it took him a long long time to get up and running again.

So he vowed to adopt a different approach. He took all the money that he would have paid in premiums and stuck it in a high-interest saving account. When he got flooded this year, he simply dug into that nest egg and was back up and running in a couple of days rather than months!

just had the same with HSBC card, luckily they were on it in a flash. Fortunately it was a card i didn't use very often so it stood out, sprouts should be hung...

I had the two £15 O2 charges on a First Direct card too, but FD didnt pick it up. Then I had M&S call me up queerying a £140 charge that I hadn't made on their card!

Egg spotted 2 fraudulent transactions on my card before I did a few days ago. One for a few pounds (Apple MobileMe) and one for about £1000 (Best Buy) -- the latter was rejected by Egg immediately. (Neither companies that I have any dealings with).

Interesting to see how many people are reporting having these kind of problems on this thread.

I think you'll find most are mistakes within the industry :(
Either that or we've a lot of criminals who appriciate there's a recession on :lol:

different twist to my story - had a call from barclaycard on Wednesday saying someone had tried to register my card for online banking earlier that day- seeing as I already had done this they failed the security checks and triggered Barlcays to call me. I confirmed there were no unexpected transactions on the account, but that still meant the card and online have been blocked until the new ones arrive.

I only use paypal when buying online (unless to a few trusted companies that don't take it) as it hides all bank details and is easy to resolve (from my experience of paypal) if the order doesn't arrive. i have only used barclaycard recently to prebook a hotel room for the works bash last Friday - so I guess my staying triggered the card info to be visible to someone in the hotel at the weekend.

Morale from my perspective is ensure that every card is registered for online banking with strong passwords and security questions. This person had not spent any money on the card

As a further security check Barclays have now added an additional password to my account (that I chose) so that has to be validated whenever any phone calls to them are made in the future.

I would highly rate Barclays, Lloyds and America Express for their anti fraud measures - they have all detected strange behaviour and called (one was due to a stolen card that they detected I never spent money in sports shops but another was when used a card in two jewellers shops in the same week buying my wife rings :oops: )

Dave.

I had approx £1000 defrauded from my bank a couple of years ago, barclays were quick to spot it and returned the money pretty swiftly. andycktm - I don't think it is mistakes within the industry, the amount of money that goes missing through bank fraud is mind bending, google will probably tell you the figures. When I was sorting it out with barclays they were so non-plussed about it as it is such an everyday accurance.

Just been done, though the transaction didn't get approved thankfully, so keep watching chaps.

Can't spend online now 'til new cards arrive after xmas, so... not all bad news. :lol:

Here’s another Lloyds customer who nearly had £400 done out of his account. Again thumbs up to Lloyds’ fraud people except for one tiny thing, it was a recorded message with a number to ring back, but as I was out and about, I could not write it down quickly enough so I had to go back via the bank with its usual number of ‘Press 1 for, press 2 for….’ etc :roll: . I did learn from them was that there seems to be a pattern, possibly from hackers who can identify bank accounts with low usage. The account that I had nearly done I only use for very limited items such as Pay-Pal, major one off items etc. I had last used the card over 3 weeks earlier. Very luckily I keep 2 accounts at different banks. Perhaps its their way of saying ‘Spend more money’!

Phil

Latest posts

Back