Waste ? What waste ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomValente

Established Member
Reaction score
Last Wednesday morning, the 28th. of March, a client came to see me and asked if I could make a couple of cabinets for his wifes' 40th birthday.
He told me that the furniture shop in town had one which she had admired but said she would have preferred them to be slightly wider and taller so as to fill the alcoves either side of a fireplace.
So, we popped down to the furniture shop and told the proprietor that we needed a couple of photographs to show his wife, who was allegedly in New York.
Then we went to his house while his wife was out shopping and took measurements and back to the workshop where he chose the colour finish, and it has to be hand finished not sprayed, the colour Farrow and Ball -Bone 15-.
So, we've got the pictures, the size and the finish.
"When's your wifes birthday" I asked.
Calm as you like he says," Next Tuesday the 3rd"
Choke, Splutter and go for it Dom.
Oh, did I mention both vans are in Bath on a shopfit.
So remembering Byron Blacks economic use of materials on his wall hanging tool cupboard, I looked around and..............................

Used some of these
DSCI0059.jpg

Some of this
DSCI0058.jpg

And some of this
DSCI0057.jpg

Made some shelves
DSCI0049.jpg

And doors
DSCI0048.jpg

Shelf support holes made with home made jig
DSCI0046.jpg

Crown and Mouldings
DSCI0047.jpg

2 made with back panels
DSCI0045.jpg

Prime and undercoat
DSCI0050.jpg

Stick the doors on
DSCI0056.jpg

Such skill :)
DSCI0055.jpg

Job done
DSCI0053.jpg

And that's it. Wednesday 12:30 to Monday 12:30, which allowing for drying time is quick. well for me :)
The side panels and shelves were made from 18mm birch ply, the front frame from 26mm veneered oak MDF and the mouldings were all made of redwood. Everything was in the workshop and would very likely have sat there for some time had this angel not arrived.
Given more time it would have been nice to show method, but that's not easy to do when you're chasing your tail

Dom

Nice one Dom.

Hope the client doesn't find out that her birthday present is made from scrap :lol:

Cheers

Tim

Spot on. That was some deadline!

Adam

My wife's B'day is on the third too ... oh dung! Errrm, you couldn't knock us up another one and deliver before breakfast could you? :lol:

Seriously, well done that man. Wish I could get stuff out that fast.

Thank you all, too kind.

In truth it wasn't the quality of the work but the speed, especially when you consider that one of the days I had to go to Bath.

Still nice to receive plaudits :) Thank you

Dom

Dom,

Very nice, I like them very much.
=D> =D>

You should have made 2 more at the same time for display in your shop :D :D

Knocks my tool cabinet into a cocked hat :)

Superb work! I think it would take me about a year to make one of those - very nice indeed! How did you do the vertical moulding on the front frame - are they all separate pieces mitred together, or is there some other ingenious way of doing it - looks like a lot of intricate work!

Good God Dom they are great, makes me wonder what you can produce if you take your time! Excellent pieces from scrap well done. :D

ByronBlack":hzeysc16 said:
How did you do the vertical moulding on the front frame - are they all separate pieces mitred together, or is there some other ingenious way of doing it - looks like a lot of intricate work

Thanks again guys,

Hi Byron , The pieces were shaped on the spindle moulder from the boards shown and then ripped down to the appropriate widths on the table saw, cut to length then hand mitred because they are quite delicate, finally glued and fixed with a "coupla brads" :)
Don't know why but while I was fixing them that's all that was running through my head.

Dom

Dom I am absolutely gobsmacked!! Would take me most of the year to make those two :shock:

Coo, I sit in awe of the speed and result. =D> =D> Should think many a person would have told him where to go with that deadline. Hope you got paid as fast!

Cheers, Alf

DomValente":35nzx9fh said:
especially when you consider that one of the days I had to go to Bath.

Dom

Spring comes later up here so I won't have my bath for another couple of weeks yet :lol:

Nice work, it shows that the skill of the craftsman is more important than the materials. =D>

Back