Waste disposal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJP

Reaction score
Hi
I was just wondering how everyone disposes of their waste. I've got a workshop on a farm and used to be able to burn all mine, but since the owner has stopped all fires i'm struggling to get rid of it.
At the moment I'm hiring a skip every 6/7 weeks to have a clear out but it means keeping it in the workshop until there is enough, which is obviously not ideal. I've tried to find somewhere to hire one of those wheelie bins but can't find any in my area.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Russ

I've got one of those bins. Waste removal is a pain in the rear which ever way you look. You could get a trailer and take the waste to a commercial tip, but then you need a waste carriers license. Bins and skips are expensive but convenient, if space isn't an issue, can't you have a deal with the skip firm to leave it on site and collect every 6 weeks or something?

Are you talking about sawdust?

If you're creating that much, get in contact with your local allotments. They will bite your arm off!

Mine goes in the brown bin

Not really sawdust, I've got a few people who take that for their horses.
It's more for off cuts and general waste. Some times people want the off cuts for burning, which is fine as it helps me, but most also want them cutting up small and bagged up so id rather just skip them.
The problem with getting a permanent skip is the owner of the farm is tidying the place up so doesn't want it and has also banned me from getting a wood burning stove for insurance purposes.

Oryxdesign, is it a national firm you hire your bin from?

I use PHS who seem fine but, you have to watch out for some of their hidden stealth fees, read the contract with a magnifier, they are national. I have used many companies over the last 10 years and the conclusion I have come to is that they are all rubbish.

I have an open fire, a fire wood store and a large garden with an incinerator if the store gets full!

Russ,

Is it stuff you can pass on to others?

I'm always on the look out for off cuts (couple of feet or so) as I make quite a bit of smaller stuff. Maybe an advert in one of the local freebies would raise some interest?

Stuart

Hi Russ,

If you were closer I would take some to heat my shop, I have a wood burner. :D

Have you tried putting it on Freecycle? I think you would get few takers there.

A friend of mine was in the same position re off cuts, till he noticed a local hardware shop selling kindling. He tracked down the supplier who was only too pleased to collect same and remove it.

Roy.

You could try Hippo Bags, you get them at the big sheds or from Hippo waste if there around, you buy a big sack fill it and ring them they arrange to take it away. http://www.hippobag.co.uk/product/default.asp

Every local authority has a duty to arrange the collection of commercial waste if requested to do so. They also have a duty to recover their costs as well though. You don't need to be a registered waste carrier if its your own waste.

I was going to say Hippo bags as well - I cannot fit a skip on my houses front and live on a main road so a skip is a no-no for me. Hippo bags work well but get expensive compared to skips if you need alot. I think there is a discount if you get more than one collected at a time but if your landlord doesnt want a skip as it looks messy then he probably will not like a line of hippo bags either.

Steve.

i'll take some of the offcuts off your hands as long as they fit in the back of an estate car. only live over the bridge in glazebrook. i have a wood burning stove so can always use any off cuts

let me know

cheers

mark

Oryxdesign":a1cwhif2 said:
Waste removal is a pain in the rear which ever way you look. You could get a trailer and take the waste to a commercial tip, but then you need a waste carriers license.

Anecdotally, I have heard that some bin wagon crews can be 'persuaded' to throw your rubbish into the back of their truck when they call to empty your neighbour's bins.

I must try it one day.

hi

recycle centre any near by ? , just as long as you bag it up and take it there in the boot of your car or small trailer they cant stop you then your not trade. just a public citizen. :wink: hc

Oryxdesign":2bpvmbwa said:
... I have come to is that they are all rubbish.

Maybe it's a South-east thing? Round here, they come and leave the skip for as long as I want it at no extra charge. Last one we had for nearly a year!

I don't have a problem with my waste, yet.

I burn my own sawdust and I have clients who want the worst of the off cuts for burning. Every now and then I spend an hour or so cutting up scraps for them.
The nicer bits of off cuts are just sorted and racked for later use. I always find a use for little bits making theatre props for my local Amateur Dramatics group, knobs and jewellery.

I guess waste disposal depends on what you make and how much you produce. Most of my work ranges from jewellery items to large tables.

I'm suprised you get away with putting sawdust in your brown bit Tom they won't let us up here. When I take extractor bags to the tip annoyingly they insist it goes to landfill even if there's no MDF dust in it apparently do to H&S rules. I'd love a wood burner but on a housing estate I don't think I could get away with that too. I had thought about getting a Chimera for the garden but I'd want to see how much smoke it would produce before parting with cash as they can be expensive.

Latest posts

Back