Washing machine woes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Our integrated washing machine has packed in. Sort of.

When it gets to "spin" cycle, it doesn't fire up. It turns over in normal washing mode, but won't rev up on the spin cycle. It knows it should be Spinning, but just stops.

Any ideas on what it could be before I run the gauntlet of getting somebody out to repair?

Cheers

Karl

Cheers Steve. Did you have to pay for the repair? If so, do you mind me asking how much?

Cheers

Karl

Karl":1iv5zzju said:
Cheers Steve. Did you have to pay for the repair? If so, do you mind me asking how much?

Cheers

Karl

I don't mind you asking, but I'm afraid I can't remember. I know that, with labour, it was touch and go whether or not it was worth fixing. In fact, IIRC, the second time we bought a replacement machine instead. But I wouldn't swear to it, it was a long time ago.

It's certainly not a £10 part.

I guess if it's a £600 Bosch it's prob worth fixing and if it was £199 from Lidl it isn't.

S

Karl":3ollwsgf said:
Hi all

Our integrated washing machine has packed in. Sort of.

When it gets to "spin" cycle, it doesn't fire up. It turns over in normal washing mode, but won't rev up on the spin cycle. It knows it should be Spinning, but just stops.

Any ideas on what it could be before I run the gauntlet of getting somebody out to repair?

Cheers

Karl

What's the make & model? And how old?

With young kids in the household - I know it's steep - but buy a Miele, ours came with a 10yr (all in) warranty with Miele (direct). Besides no one hears of one breaking down! :wink:

HIH

Dibs

Motor brushes. For some reason they always go during the spin cycle not the main wash, and will sometimes still work the main wash and not the spin cycle.

New brushes are fairly cheap, knowing how to take it apart and put it back is another matter. If this is it will cost you about £50 I reakon to get someone in.

Mark

matt":cwx2ynxt said:
What he said about Miele...

Miele gets my vote (if you have to change). =D>

We bought one 12 years ago and then a Miele dishwasher as well on the strength of it.

Integrated stuff is expensive and narrows your options though which is why I flatly refused when my wife suggested it.

BTW you should find costs of parts for your model if you do a web search.

good luck

Bob

Lons":q79418u0 said:
matt":q79418u0 said:
What he said about Miele...

Miele gets my vote (if you have to change). =D>

We bought one 12 years ago and then a Miele dishwasher as well on the strength of it.

Integrated stuff is expensive and narrows your options though which is why I flatly refused when my wife suggested it.

BTW you should find costs of parts for your model if you do a web search.

good luck

Bob

Wot eee said. Definite.

If it's an old-fashioned rotary controller, you *might* have success with oiling the cams on the 'programmer' itself. Our last non-Miele was Bosch (never again), and the programmer used to get stuck just before spin. 3-in-1 oil (NOT WD40!) sorted it, and I managed to keep it going for a couple of years by re-oiling it every four months or so.

There is a Haynes-book-of-lies on washing machines. I've got one somewhere, but I don't remember it being very helpful, nor very up-to-date when I got my copy.

Your mileage, etc.

It won't spin unless the water has drained. If the filter is blocked or the pump is faulty/blocked that would prevent the machine from spinning. If all the water drains that rules that out.
Less common is a faulty pressure switch.
As others have said both the motor/motor board and the programmer can cause the exact same symptoms. It's well over 15 years since I repaired washing machines and back then they were nearly all electro-mechanical timers. These days I think they are virtually all pcb controlled.

MIGNAL":2pdk29wm said:
It won't spin unless the water has drained. If the filter is blocked or the pump is faulty/blocked that would prevent the machine from spinning. If all the water drains that rules that out.

Spot on - I spoke to a guy last night who asked if it was leaving water in the bottom of the machine. When I told him it was, he said that the drain pump was probably knackered, and it'd be £100 inc vat and fitting for a new one.

The machine is an Indesit, we've had it about 5 years and it is on at least twice a day. This is the first time anything has gone wrong with it.

Not sure whether to get it fixed or buy a new machine - Wifey fancies a dryer too.

Cheers

Karl

Karl":2ozfrzdi said:
I spoke to a guy last night who asked if it was leaving water in the bottom of the machine. When I told him it was, he said that the drain pump was probably knackered, and it'd be £100 inc vat and fitting for a new one.

The drain pumps are pretty robust. Check it's free from obstructions.

Do you have ladies with long hair in the house? If you can hear it trying to work (buzzing) it may well just be jammed by something: hair, paperclips, buttons, cotton thread and small change are favourite items round here.

You can almost always get at the wet side of the pump from the front of the machine. Most allow you to drain the remaining water into a shallow tray, then you can open the front and clean it.

It's a bit wet and gooey, but a lot cheaper than £100, if you find you don't need to replace the pump.

Not sure I'd pay £100 to get an Indesit repaired.
Then again if you have a few diy skills, it should be an easy fix. It could also just be a case of the pump being jammed.

Well that took long!

Took the filter cover off, a few coins fell out :roll: had a look inside - bingo. A strip of material was wrapped around the pump. Took it off, set the machine to rinse and BINGO - it drained! Some of the trim on my daughters PJ's had become detached - not quite sure how it got into the drain system - it's quite a big bit of material.

Cheers guys - looks like Wifey will have to wait for that dryer!

Cheers

Karl

Yes Mr C - you were the first. Prize is on it's way..... lol:

Cheers

Karl

Back