Was surprised to see

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Established Member
Reaction score
So I was surprised to see that Festool kit is being sold in Screwfix.

Apologies if there has already been a thread on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screwfix is an encouraging step in absolutely the right direction...but the one I'm really waiting for is Poundland.

It is a surprise. When D&W in Twickenham were appointed as a Festool distributor they mentioned how much training their staff had to undergo as part of the deal. I doubt Screwfix will be able to offer the same level of sales staff expertise so maybe it suggests a change in Festool's policies and direction?

I'm guessing they'll add to the range as it seems a little odd they sell the plunge saws but no rails (that I could see).

And the more retailers who distribute Festool the greater the chance that someone will take a punt on deep discounting...which takes me back to Poundland!

By the time the goobers in SF have actually picked the items the warranty will have expired. Worst customer service anywhere. 3 people on tills, 1 person picking & 8 people talking nonsense and doing nothing just round the corner.

Track saw with no track... Words fail me.

My experience of screwfix differs. If I order on-line for collection in store, it is always ready and waiting at Tunbridge Wells or Tonbridge (which are the two I usually use). The staff are helpful too and there is very rarely any waiting to speak of. If I order delivery, the service seems to be reliable and is similar to Axminster.

When we return things they handle that well too and are helpful in suggesting alternative suppliers if they cannot help (as recently happened with some plumbing fittings). If Screwfix are widening their brand range this sounds like a good thing.

cantseeitfrommyhouse":tvv3ikns said:
By the time the goobers in SF have actually picked the items the warranty will have expired. Worst customer service anywhere. 3 people on tills, 1 person picking & 8 people talking nonsense and doing nothing just round the corner.

Track saw with no track... Words fail me.
I agree with AJB, our local Screwfix are brilliant, especially if you order online for collection. You must have a carp branch where you are.

Have had to return one or two items, always been fantastic.

As to original post - Festool???? Never heard of 'em!

Andrew :shock:

The trouble with Screwfix is that they are not always the most competitively priced, and as with the Mafell products they advertise they do not hold stock.
So personally if I want something Festool I will shop round on the internet for the best price from a reliable retailer (usually one I've used previously) and get it delivered to my door the next working day.
I feel Screwfix are missing an opportunity by not holding stock as they will likely be missing out on urgent purchases by Tradesman and impulse buyers.

Will be easier for people to use the recent issue of Festool vouchers if they want to deal direct and not post their vouchers.

Letchworth SF are awful. And I've never been impressed with SF's approach to customer service anywhere.

One of their newest gimmicks is to have one of their employees loitering aimlessly round the shop floor (whilst there's still only 1 person picking) waiting to pounce on people "can i help you.." No thanks, it's a very simple shop; it's either in the catalogue or it isn't. If it's in the catalogue you sell it, if it isn't you don't, and stood in the middle of the shop without a computer terminal to check stock you're about as much use to me as a chocolate fireguard! Sod off!

Toolstation are much much better. Just a shame they don't offer higher quality range just a bit cheaper than SF.

cantseeitfrommyhouse":3qwt4p2x said:
One of their newest gimmicks is to have one of their employees loitering aimlessly round the shop floor (whilst there's still only 1 person picking) waiting to pounce on people

Thats a directive from head office - They've given up on it at my local one because its obviously not helping anybody.

I use three SFs regularly and the odd one when working further afield and the staff are always helpful and quick, the only issue being the biscuits and donuts given away on certain days, they are not good for my weight and I can't resist. I only ever had one problem when a new manager did not understand SFs return policy, she later apologiesd to me.

I'm a fan of screwfix. I bought a £300 dehumidifier from them and returned it after 6mths as it leaked. SF refunded me with no quibble. That suggests to me they have alot of power over their suppliers as I presume the machine went back to Ebac

I ordered a 6mm dia and 95mm long drill bit in my local sf in Glenrothes. The young lad on the till insisted it was a 95mm dia drill bit and it took me ages before he understood that it wasnt 95mm in diameter. It finally dawned on him when I asked him if their forklift could load it directly into my van as I was sure I wouldnt be able to lift it myself due to its weight and if they sold any drills that had a chuck it could be used in. There is only one old bloke who has a remote understanding of diy and their alternate suggestions when something isnt in stock is often hilarious particularly if they are busy and any knowledgable customers start to laugh. Their only saving grace sometimes is that they are only half a mile away from my house and sometimes I need stuff right away.

That surprises me too. I'm surprised Festool would agree to it and to me it sort of hints that they might be altering direction somewhat. Hard times? It's not as though Screwfix is a new distributor and as part of the same group as B&Q, they would always have had access to any brand they wished, in theory, as they are certainly not limited by buying power.

An odd choice.

As for Screwfix, what wins them my business fairly often is that they are open on a sunday and if I need a box of screws, I'm always going to go there instead of B&Q. The staff in B&Q are absolutely useless in the main, thats if you can find someone at all, whereas in our Screwfix branch, I've found them quite helpful. Although not amazingly knowledgeable, they know their way around their own stock and the general terms for things.

Back