Warning! I was feeling nostalgic

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouldy plane

Established Member
Reaction score
I cant help but love the abstract patterns that sometimes form when making unplugged joinery. Symmetry, and chaos often combine together to make magic

Attachments

• DSCN0056 (2).JPG
    DSCN0056 (2).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0132.JPG
    DSCN0132.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0172.JPG
    DSCN0172.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 0
I'm unsure as to the ethics of using accoya in heritage joinery. it's seems important( to me) to strictly adhere to the original material. as far as is possible. if accoya is acceptable why not plastic? hypothetically some deterioration and paint build is authentic and maybe even desirable?
just because some conservation officer says its OK doesn't mean that's the argument over. imagine rows of pristine replacement sash windows in 50 years how bloody stupid would that look?

Accoya is just another timber, a softwood pine at that. These sashes were fitted into bricked up openings and made to match the originals. They were also single glazed.

it's not a criticism of its use it's just me thinking out loud on what heritage is for. substituting one material for a highly modified acidic timber isn't the same neither is using sapele from the Congo. it's the equivalent of using composite slates on an important historic roof. worse it may leach acetic acid when the paint eventually wears off. how can you use old original hardware. to me heritage is more than what it looks like just as important is what it is.

what if someone had cleaned all 18th century planes replaced the irons with o1 replacement prised out the boxing and put tufnol in and put a better blade clamp in. would that then hold any information for our future selves to discover?

Latest posts

Back