wardrobe material advice please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecoder

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a space in a very small bedroom that I want to build a floor to ceiling wardrobe in. It will be approx 2.5 ft wide and 8 ft high I want to use either mdf or something similar. I will have to build it on site, my question is would mdf be suitable or would you reccomend another material ?

18mm MDF should be fine. 12mm thick back on the inside not outside and maybe a shelf or two and it will be plenty strong enough. I take its to me painted?

Hudson Carpentry":2m1fuemm said:
18mm MDF should be fine. 12mm thick back on the inside not outside and maybe a shelf or two and it will be plenty strong enough. I take its to me painted?

That was going to be my next question, what type of finish can I expect hand painting mdf. I would also like to add some doors, will m18,mm be ok for that ?

And also never used the biscuit jointer on mdf,would bjoints be ok ?

Thanks for feedback

18mm Doors with 6-9mm panels will be fine. Just make sure the hinge you buy (if euro) is suited to that thickness. I forget which but one size requires a hole so deep the cutters guide comes out a little the otherside. If you have a bench drill you can grind most of the point off so this don't happen but in a drill free hand the bit may slip before it can pilot if grinded.

Sand the edges down to 240grit or more. 2 coats of primer sanded between with 240g then 3 coats of finish colour on top sanded between and you should get a flat smooth and mark free finish. I tend to roll the last 2 coats on after getting the brush into details and corners. After last coat use a finer grit.

EDIT: Biscuits work find in MDF, just made part of a bed using 15mm MDF and biscuits myself.

Back