Wardrobe doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Vastano

Established Member
Reaction score
Up to now I have doing practice projects, but I am now planning my First major project (with the emphasis on planning at the mo) a fitted wardrobe for the Daughter's bedroom.

Plan was to use Hardwood Ply for the carcass and Ash or Cherry Hardwood for the front frame. The doors I am undecided about the original plan was to use matching Hardwood about 19mm solid throughout, but after discussion with my local hardwood supplier. he suggested a Frame and panel set-up to reduce costs.

So Plan version 2.0 is to use the hardwood as a frame and then Matching veneered Ply/mdf for the panels. I planned to use 19mm x 44mm for the frame and making the doors approx. 400 - 500 mm wide in total (dependant on size/space and number of doors)

Any advise would be gratefully received.
Mike

Do you know what joints you were intending for the doors? That may determine what door thickness you use.

for the carcases, birch plywood would be nice, it cuts well without splintering and both faces and edges sand up well. If you use solid lippings for the shelves then melamine faced chipboard is available and has a nice smooth easy clean finish for cupboard interiors.

To design wardrobes, I find it easier to draw out the front view showing the front frames and doors. Once happy with the look I then size the carcases.

If you want cornice and plinth then shorten the height to allow for these.

Dont forget to check you can get the front frame up the stairs! (it's caught me out a few times D'oh!)

cheers Robin

I start by making a 'box' for the carcass. I normally use veneered MDF if it is a wood finish. I allow a gap at the sides and top bottom to allow for scribing in/ cornice and plinth. I would also make the doors in solid wood and 6mm veneered MDF for the door panels. I make a plinth as a ladder construction at the height of the skirting and then place the carcass on top of this. I leave around 2" at the top for the cornice unless it is a large ornate one. I also assemble the wardrobe on site using biscuits and glue/screws as this makes it easier for getting up to the bedroom. HTH. :wink:

I don't know what your design is but I wonder if 44x19 for the door frame may appear a bit undersize for doors that wide. How about 60x21 or are you limited to off the shelf sizes?

Chris

Mr T":232o1e91 said:
I don't know what your design is but I wonder if 44x19 for the door frame may appear a bit undersize for doors that wide. How about 60x21 or are you limited to off the shelf sizes?

Chris

No Not limited which is why I asked the question

Cheers for the response

Back