Ward paring chisel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jim

I think it's all a bit harder and we will often have to be satisfied with the answer that a tool is 'quite old!' Designs were standardised and remained available for long periods; respected trade marks outlived their original namesakes.

There's some thorough looking research, by Gary Laroff, aided by the good people at the Hawley Trust, into the Ward and Payne dynasty here on the Old Tools list: http://swingleydev.com/archive/get.php?message_id=157681&submit_thread=1

It notes:

"Henry Payne appears as an edge tool maker in 1837 and joins the company
prior to 1845. Perhaps he joined in 1837 and caused the name change to
David Ward & Co. In 1843 Henry Payne registered the well-known Ward & Payne
trade mark of the crossed hammers above an anvil with W to the left and P to
the right. Henry Payne became junior partner in 1845 and died in 1850 and
ownership of the company reverted back to the Ward family. After 1845 the
firm built a large business in edge tools concentrating on carving tools,
chisels and gouges."

Taking that alongside the gallery of trade marks at http://alte-beitel.de/ward_payne.html - and being careful of the logic as you can't prove a negative - I think the message is that Ward (before Payne) did not use any sort of anvil mark; it came in with Mr Payne, with both W and P letters, even if the main spelled out name was just Ward.

It would be nice to think of old stock being used up with extra letters added, but I don't see the evidence - unless your collection has some more examples of course!
Also, I expect it was quite difficult to make an even impression with a stamp, a hammer and a piece of red hot steel, all under the pressure of piece work - so we should expect a lot of natural variation in the depth and clarity of the marks.

You mentioned the 1911 Ward and Payne catalogue. It must have been a wonderful thing - 501 pages worth of every possible variety of tool - Sheffield at its peak before the First World War. I certainly don't have a copy but there are plenty of pages from it reproduced elsewhere - and on page 132 of Salaman's Dictionary of Woodworking Tools is an illustration of the eighteen different patterns of chisel handle they offered - including the "plain beech octagon" with no ferrule. So although some tools with those handles will be very old, not all tools with them will be. Maybe they didn't stay available for much longer - they don't appear in Marples 1938 catalogue - but they are not all mid Victorian. Sorry!

Just dug this out but a pointless now after the Professors post

wp sj addis4.JPG

Slightly more sophisticated but still octagonal and from 1870 + since it's W&P , S.J.Addis.

Attachments

• wp sj addis4.JPG
    wp sj addis4.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 1,171
Mr_P":1o6bfsc4 said:
Just dug this out but a pointless now after the Professors post

Slightly more sophisticated but still octagonal and from 1870 + since it's W&P , S.J.Addis.

It's the totally octagonal with no ferrule concept that I was suggesting was earlier...nice chisel by the way!

Jimi

I don't think the P has been added and as mentioned, an octagonal handle doesn't necessarily mean early 19th century or older.

I've got this small Ward gouge, 200mm long. It only has "Ward" on it, nothing else:
ward gouge 200mm.JPG

ward.JPG

BE chisel, more recent, it has "Made in England" on the back in the same blocky script as the "Cast Steel" on the front:
w and p.JPG

Attachments

• ward gouge 200mm.JPG
    ward gouge 200mm.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,159
  • ward.JPG
    ward.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,159
  • w and p.JPG
    w and p.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 1,159
The words " made in England" dates it to the 20th century, just pre ww1. "England" was marked on goods from 1891 due to an import act in the USA, stating all good imported into the USA had to have country of manufacture stated on them.

:x
OK, that seller seems to get double the upper end of the going rate, but that is effing stupid! I wish the people who pay that sort of money would just go away and leave the old "junk" to people of more limited means but love old tools.

If you want to drop £70+ on one "good" chisel, why not just buy a new "premium" chisel?

JohnPW":tkxb4wpx said:

:x
OK, that seller seems to get double the upper end of the going rate, but that is effing stupid! I wish the people who pay that sort of money would just go away and leave the old "junk" to people of more limited means but love old tools.

If you want to drop £70+ on one "good" chisel, why not just buy a new "premium" chisel?

I'm with you on this one to.
A bit of hype and tools go for stupid money, it's crazy.
Barnes does get more than most when selling we all know that.
I can complain to much as I've sold him tools myself lol,

I would rather a new, premium chisel that a vintage ward chisel. I have a ward paring chisel for sale any takers yours for £50 ;)

TT

Latest posts

Back