Warco 1100B

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I know the Mystro is overpriced (and I paid too much for mine secondhand too) but it's not that bad. Solid cast iron swivelling head, pretty good capacity and mounted on a rigid base, it'll do a good job.
My reason for buying one was that I can interchange chucks etc with my Myford metalworking lathe, which can often come in handy, and I feel happier with the heavier nose than the 3/4" one on the Record.

But if that one on the Bay goes for much less than I paid for mine without the variable speed, I won't be a happy bunny :(

I am being very tempted by the myford, for a start myford are 1/2 mile down the road from me and still sell spares and I like myford, I learned metal turning on one. Also it has more power than a lot of lathes and electronic control. I don't really need the tools (but I always like new tool)s and could do with a real roughing gouge. The chuck is a bonus, unfortunatly I don't have a myford 7 and the axminster has a different system for mounting a chuck so I wont be able to swap.

My main question is if I can stretch to a cl4 which should I get?

My second question is does anyone want a fox midi lathe with chuck and odds and sods...

If you can afford a new CL4 and still have money over for other stuff you want/need i'd definitely go that route - but they arent cheap, and they dont come up second hand very often

otherwise i'd go with the mystro - but not for more than about 300 notes, its local to you and you'll get tooling and timber into the deal. (and if yiou dont want them you can always sell them on to defray part of the cost)

re the fox i might be interested as we need a baby lathe at work for spinning pegs etc - how much do you want for it ? - pm me if you prefer

Hi Danny

I have a CL4 if you would like to try it out. Just PM me any time.

Malcolm

Thanks all

Malcolm I will come and look at the cl4 if I may, does the 1MT taper cause you any problems, it puts me off a bit because my metal lathe has 2MT and it is useful to be able to swap jacobs chuck etc. Could you either ring me on 07920024804 or PM me a number and I will ring you. When are you around, I work as a lecturer and so I am quite flexible?

BSM not sure what I want for it, there is a chuck and a screw fitting as well cost was around £250 I am open to offers. One of the bristol handles broke and needs replacing but apart from that it is a nice little lathe.

I still fancy the Mystro but it just jumped to £300 and still has 5 days to go :( There is a viceroy too but there are things I don't fancy about it, mainly the strange spindle threads.

Thank you for all the help. I have come down to a set of requirements

1HP or more
>20" spindle
some sort of speed control other than changing belts
2MT
swivel headstock
<£500
I really fancy a new lathe not an ebay one

After a lot of agonising I have decided on a F46-719 with a patriot chuck. Terry at Polewood tells me that there is about to be a big price rise and was really helpful. They also have a three year guarantee. All I have to do now is completely reorganise the shed...

dannykaye":2c0sesyp said:

1HP or more
>20" spindle
2MT
swivel headstock
<£500

Well, apart from the last requirement, that Mystro should fit the bill :D

dickm":3gjm70g2 said:
Well, apart from the last requirement, that Mystro should fit the bill :D

Yeah, but I lost a series of lathes on ebay and I never had too much patience :)

dannykaye":2bqgjl66 said:

1HP or more
>20" spindle
2MT
swivel headstock
<£500

After a lot of agonising I have decided on a F46-719 with a patriot chuck. Terry at Polewood tells me that there is about to be a big price rise and was really helpful. They also have a three year guarantee. All I have to do now is completely reorganise the shed...

that looks like a good lathe - from using similar lathes (ive never used that one) I would predict that there will be a fair bit of vibration and possibly some give in the legs.

both can be dealt with by puting a shelf accross on the lower supports then either piling concrete blocks , sand bags, or your supply of large wood blanks on it to increase the mass. If you go with the latter its a good idea to cover them over with a poly sheet so that they dont get buried in shavings

thanks, I am in a wood shed on a concrete plinth, I could cut the floor and bolt it down to the concrete, I'll do that if the vibration is excessive

sound plan - but in my experience even bolting down doesnt necessarily stop the machine vibrating - though it does help , so if you are turninganything which is particularly out of balance (burrs or natural edge bowls for example) you'd probably want to bolt it down and add mass.

Ok I am now the proud owner of the Fox with a noce new Patriot chuck :). First impressions, it's bloo*y heavy. When they say it is a 2 man lift for the headstock assembly they are not kidding. However, there was no one else here and it wasn't staying in the box :)

I actually expected it next week and cannot believe that Polewood got it here in 2 days, there is a big price hike coming apparently too. SWMBO, who bought it for my birthday arrived home to find a man with a forklift, useful things mobile phones :)

First impressions are generally good, a couple of niggles while assembling it

1) the vertical alignment is about 0.25mm low with no adjustment but that is not a problem
2) horizontal alignment was about 2mm out, simple adjustment but no instructions about how to do it
3) enough paint on the guides on the tailstock to stop it moving, had to clean it with a file
4) no adjustment on the tailstock, but I have been spoiled by metal lathes and don't really expect it on a wood lathe
5) the drive belt rattles like hell and, when I took the cover off it was full of cast iron dust. A quick root around turned up some leather and six leather washers has quietened it a lot.

I like the speed adjustment and having loads of power is nice, all my tools seem to work better. Not a big fan of the banjo, I have only run a spindle on it as yet, I am knackered from carrying the big bit, and for spindle work the adjustment is a bit clunky and everything has to be really tight, but I'll get used to it

Now I need some wood and a course in bowl turning, I have some pear drying outside and a big piece of purpleheart that work gave me on my 50th so that will give me something to play with, sadly I have to go to work tomorrow and finish a job for someone on friday as well as finishing the corrections to my thesis so I won't get much time to play for a week :(

again, thanks for all the help and advice

check out your local freecycle for wood - one post on there got me more than i could handle (and likewise for tom, and doubtless others)

big soft moose":3kv1gxeq said:
check out your local freecycle for wood - one post on there got me more than i could handle (and likewise for tom, and doubtless others)

I'll second this. I rarely buy wood and apart from the local farmers and hedgers, my main source of wood is Freecycle. Think old furniture, etc and you can get all sorts of good, dry wood.

Pete

I'll try freeserve thanks

just an update on the new fox, I realised today that it was not working rightat fast speeds, the belt was loose and so the chuck could be stopped by hand at any setting above 8. After a call to Polewood a quick spray with wd40 to loosen up the grease on the spindle and all is right with the world :)

Latest posts

Back