wandering around

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
Well. arrived back in the UK weds night, barely stopped raining since, not much changes does it?.
Thursday called into Axminster tools Basingstoke branch on my way to the west country to collect my pre ordered 63mm ducting bits.
Very nice shop, had quite a bit more than I was expecting. The manager (Simon) had my stuff all ready for me. Scores very highly for service and choice.

Today, went to Yandles in Martock in Somerset. Sprawling place in old buildings all over a historic wood yard. Very interesting. Triton tools had an open day and I studied their routing table quite hard, but its just too heavy to take back on the plane with me. So I bought a Kreg router insert plate and will definitely make my own.
They had a big stock, again more than I expected, as I haven't been to any wood equipment shops before, and came away with odds and ends, and I think I made a tactical error in taking the wife. She wandered around pretty bored till we got to the exotic wood section. Neither of us had seen Purpleheart wood before. I'm now taking a lump back on the plane to make her a purpleheart and walnut trinket box. I shall be asking the best finish for purpleheart in a few weeks time.

I was surprised how few people were there, we had the place virtually to ourselves despite the demo day.

Now looking for more tool shops in the south west to go visit (when it stops raining!) And we are going up to Nottingham for a weekend visiting relatives, so any good shops around there?

When I moved to Nottingham in 1979 there were four good tool shops. Mibro on Toll Hill, Pooles Tools, later Poolewood, at several different addresses (they must have spent a fortune on moving), one down by the railway station, I forget its name but it was great, and Black's on the High Street in Beeston.

All are now gone. There is B&Q and Toolstation.

However, there is The Tool Shop on London Road in Derby, 30 mins away, and if you want a proper small timber yard and are prepared to drive a little, there is MAC Timber in Peterborough. Not on the doorstep, but it's not a difficult drive.

S

Steve Maskery":3ju9okja said:
When I moved to Nottingham in 1979 there were four good tool shops. Mibro on Toll Hill, Pooles Tools, later Poolewood, at several different addresses (they must have spent a fortune on moving), one down by the railway station, I forget its name but it was great, and Black's on the High Street in Beeston.

However, there is The Tool Shop on London Road in Derby, 30 mins away, and if you want a proper small timber yard and are prepared to drive a little, there is MAC Timber in Peterborough. Not on the doorstep, but it's not a difficult drive.

S

Just a timber yard is no good to me, I cant get it on the plane home.(£1.50 a kilo freight). But I am interested in tool shops to browse around as I have so much to learn.

If you are still in the Yeovil area you might want to have a look at Miles Tool and Machinery, now in an industrial unit on Oxford Road, Yeovil:

http://www.mtmc.co.uk/

If you click on ‘About Us’ and select ‘Showroom Tour’ you can virtually walk through the front door and into the showroom.

Jack

Steve Maskery":1b76hoiq said:

S

I think the tool shop by the station was Hopkinson's?? Another long goner was Gillots at Goose Gate.

Jack (W)":1a85g512 said:
If you are still in the Yeovil area you might want to have a look at Miles Tool and Machinery, now in an industrial unit on Oxford Road, Yeovil:

http://www.mtmc.co.uk/

If you click on ‘About Us’ and select ‘Showroom Tour’ you can virtually walk through the front door and into the showroom.

Jack
That's a clever tool (hah!) haven't had a virtual shopping experience before.

I'm further over, staying with family in Taunton. Sadly, I'm a captive of my wife, who is the only driver of the hire car, so I have to combine my tool trips with something nearby she wants to see. We're also here for the grandkids half term (unpaid babysitters) so this week is very restricted. Hopefully next week will be better for me.

Axminster in axminster is a familiar shop to me, but again, the woodworking side is all new. Maybe I can get a friend who is also a "tool person" to take me down there.

I've decided I'm far more comfortable with power tools than hand at this stage. A router table is the next item to make when I get back home, so I shall have a to buy several (many) bits.

Back