Walnut TV Unit (Pics)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Nibbo

Established Member
Reaction score
I started this project last Thursday afternoon, I used up some of the left overs of the American Black Walnut from the HiFi Unit to make this TV Unit, infact only the top was sized up from unused timber the ends and rails were off cuts. To match the Hifi unit everything was sized to two inches thick except the rails in front of the shelves they were sized to 18mm same as the birch plywood and the door was also sized to 18mm thick and is in fact four pieces jointed together with biscuits.

Top is open for units that require remotes. Bottom enclosed with a bottom hinged door for storage of remotes, DVD’s Video tapes etc. Pictured after three coats of Danish oil (still wet)

381834876_2dd7ada908.jpg

The top was jointed and biscuits were used, the same for the end panels. A floating tennon was used to join the top to the end panels, and 18mm stopped rebates cut with a router ½” deep for the shelves.

381855824_3527b125b0.jpg

Sanded down to 240 grit then 0000 wire wool then three coats of Danish oil for the finish, that’s the point I took the pics.

381834887_44a922743a.jpg

Here's a view of the back panel
381834883_073b0315d7.jpg

Tomorrow it will get another rubbing down with wire wool and then waxed with Black Bison. :)

Very nice. Lovely to see walnut in such large sizes.

Lord Nibbo":kskbw3yu said:
Top is open for units that require remotes. Bottom enclosed with a bottom hinged door for storage of remotes, DVD’s Video tapes etc.

FWIW, we find that our Sony radio/cd player in our kitchen works very well with a remote even through the glass door, so tempted to make a unit with the DVD/HDD player behind glass to keep it dust free.

Lord Nibbo - Superb, and only started last thursday - Amazing.

I like it very much.. apart from the back... which nobody will ever see.. so who cares :)

Fecn":2ozin3qt said:
Lord Nibbo - Superb, and only started last thursday - Amazing.

I like it very much.. apart from the back... which nobody will ever see.. so who cares :)

It was all assembled by Saturday, :) Sunday it was sanded & wire wooled same again on Monday & it was repeated yesterday. Today it will be wirewool again this time with wax and then I got to get it in the house and swap over the dvd, sky tuner, and the vcr. I'll post another pic then. :)

Very nice - although its a shame that you didn't have a couple of bits of veneered boards for the shelves.

Re wirewool - I have seen walnut react in the same way as oak to this treatment. Not that surprising since it has a high tannin content. So hopefully no water will go near it.

Cheers

Tim

Lord Nibbo":2nfft1k7 said:
Here it is in it's final resting place.

and it's only wednesday now... You really do work fast. In the time it's taken you to do that, I've managed to sharpen my chisels.

LM,that looks very nice, yet simple design just as i like it. well done mate 10/10 :eek:ccasion5:

Lord Nibbo

Beautiful. Seeing it in situ shows that you got the proportions just right.

Regards.

Back